Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randomly during a drive, the coolant gauge decides to start frantically shaking back and forth within an approx. 1/2" to 1" range then stops. This occurs during hard acceleration and during normal driving, so it is not brought on by any consistent pattern.

Any ideas? Bad coolant sensor? Short in the gauge wires?

·
Registered
855 Posts
The tachometer on my 92 would do that randomly. I ended up finally replacing the instrument cluster with one from a junkyard to fix it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
NismoPC said:
Randomly during a drive, the coolant gauge decides to start frantically shaking back and forth within an approx. 1/2" to 1" range then stops. This occurs during hard acceleration and during normal driving, so it is not brought on by any consistent pattern.

Any ideas? Bad coolant sensor? Short in the gauge wires?

Yes. ;)

1) Check the connection on the sending unit.
2) Find out where the gauge grounds and where the engine grounds. Make sure they are good, clean, and solid.
3) Then it could be the sending unit or the gauge itself

<S>

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Coolant gauge randomly jumping. Any ideas?

Geo said:

2) Find out where the gauge grounds and where the engine grounds. Make sure they are good, clean, and solid.
Thanks! Will do!

·
Registered
306 Posts
my 2 cents...

My first guess is a weak connection on the coolant sensor. Pull it off, squeeze the connection slightly with pliers, clean the connector and reinstall.
The whole instrument cluster is grounded together. I would expect ALL the electrical guages would jump randomly if it were a bad instrument ground.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say that the coolant guage, like the gas guage is designed to not be so sensitive to sensor input that the needle jumps at the slightest fluctuation of voltage. Imagine if your gas guage needle rose and fell everytime you accelerated or braked while the gas in your tank slushed around. That's why I think it's the cluster itself. I tried everything when my tach was failing, everything. Definetly reseat all the connections in the circuit from the sensor to the ECU to the back of the cluster. Make sure to disconnect the battery first!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Coolant gauge randomly jumping. Any ideas?

Geo said:
Yes. ;)

Hey GEO! Thanks for the assistance! I checked both connectors for the two sensor wires by the oil filter bracket and "wadayaknow", the single wire connector was gunked up and causing a bad connection. Must have been when I replaced the oil filter bracket. Pulled it, cleaned it, put it back on, and Voila'!

Anyhow, no more erratic water temp gauge. Been stable for about as long as G20.net has been down!

:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts