Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a 95 g20, with 140K, it uses a bit too much oil! 1qt per 1500 miles. No outside leaks, compression test is 155-160 in all four. (Do you read it after stop starting the engine for a 3 stroke or the max spiked? above number is when i stop, spike is 170)

Anyhow, this seems like a valve seal leaks. I get smoke at start once in while in the mornings.
Has anyone paid to get the valve seals replaced. I know the part is cheap, but how much is the labor?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
replacing valve seals normally means taking off the head, it can be done on the car but a lot of work. Compression is decent, you read max spike after the engine rotates a handful of times with the TB wide open.

Valve seals only keep the oil out of the combustion chamber that are floating around the head under the VC, if your burning oil, my guess its a head gasket, imo, there is no way you could lose that much oil thru valve seals...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, in my honda civic, same issue, valve seal was replaced with 250 total and engine ran another 100K for total of 235K miles untill i got tired of it! anyhow, would the bad head gasket effect compression?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
i guess it would depend on how badly the HG was blown...

find James Vic over on sr20forum.com, hes in the dallas area and is a good person to get in touch with if you need major work done on the G.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done a leak test and it is with in specs of sr20de as well. If it is tight enough to keep the comporessed air of more than min 149 psi in why or does oil gets in ? Valve seal is the only answer per infiniti repair guide used by nissan/ infiniti dealers. When you do test valve are sitting in a correct place therefore the pressure is within specs. Thanks for the help.
But still the question stands does anyone know of competant mechanic who can change valve seals instead of trying to tear the engine apart for labor? I know it is possible thing to do for less than 2 hours of labor for other cars such as honda civics.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
like pat has said the vlve seal is is a seal at the top of the guid and used to stop oil for comeing in during vac at open on intake side. if the exuat side seals were bad it would make more sence to get small mounts of exuast get in the vlve cover wich could force oil threw pcv.
I personally can not se the valve sel efect engine compresion much. but could effect a vac test. more are less a leack at valve seat or hed gasket or rings are more likely to give compresion loss

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but that way you get lot of blow by gas which should result in significant amountaof black deposits in the oil. Engine oil test shows oil stays clean as if engine had 40K on it not 140K. Therefore, no nonsense of rebuilding the engine.
The issue is not whether it is valve seal problem, the question is how many hours of labor does it take a competant mechanic who does not attempt to rebuild the engine to replace these seals. Please, the answer which shouls be a number of hours of labor required to do this job.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
pmaadani said:
Got a 95 g20, with 140K, it uses a bit too much oil! 1qt per 1500 miles. No outside leaks, compression test is 155-160 in all four. (Do you read it after stop starting the engine for a 3 stroke or the max spiked? above number is when i stop, spike is 170)

Anyhow, this seems like a valve seal leaks. I get smoke at start once in while in the mornings.
Has anyone paid to get the valve seals replaced. I know the part is cheap, but how much is the labor?
1 qt. every 1500 miles is normal for a car with 140k on it. Your compression is good for a 140k mile car. You have some ring wear, because a newer engine would show something like 175 psi. I would do nothing. Oil is cheap. Even if you spend the money to replace the valve seals, you will still be leaking some oil past the rings. Save your money and time. Forget about it. Just put the oil in.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
jjacob said:
1 qt. every 1500 miles is normal for a car with 140k on it.
:lol: ive got 230K miles on my P11, with a leaking oil seal on the front cover, and low compression on my #2 cylinder and I dont even go thru that much oil.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yahnozha said:
:lol: ive got 230K miles on my P11, with a leaking oil seal on the front cover, and low compression on my #2 cylinder and I dont even go thru that much oil.
But it is still considered normal. There are people with new cars that go through one quart every 3000 miles and the factory tells them this is normal. The bottom line is that he will have to spend a lot of money to replace valve seals on a 140,000 mile car, that will still leak or burn some amount of oil. It doesn't make sense. If the head gasket was blown and the head had to come off for other work, then that would be the time to do the work. It just doesn't make sense from a cost standpoint. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks jjacob exactlyi am going to do. This is design defect from nissan! A part that is designed to wear out at about 100K should be easy to change. If honda can design it in a way that you can take 2 hours of labor to change it all, it means designing the engine in a way to pay 1500 in labor to change some stupid seals is just one heck of cheesy design.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I dont know if my initial writing confused you on what the compression is. it is 168,170, 170, 167, considering range is 149-179 I think this is pretty darn good for a engine with 140K on it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
pmaadani said:
thanks jjacob exactlyi am going to do. This is design defect from nissan! A part that is designed to wear out at about 100K should be easy to change. If honda can design it in a way that you can take 2 hours of labor to change it all, it means designing the engine in a way to pay 1500 in labor to change some stupid seals is just one heck of cheesy design.
Well, I don't think it's really a design defect. Every car has somethings that are easier to repair than others. Valve seals worn on a car with 140,000 miles is normal. If you did not own the car from new, then you don't know really know how the previous owners maintained it. Maybe if you had owned it from new, the valve seals would be fine.

And yes, your compression is good for 140k.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
pmaadani said:
By the way, you should go five or six compression pulses not just three. So your numbers might be actually a little higher. You also want to make sure when you run the test that you get up to almost your max compression number by the third stroke, which it appears you did.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well you are right compression might be even little higher. Even in crazy german cars valve seals are less than 30 min per cyl work. No ownership is not issue since,
I think the 70 year old CPA who owned the car before me and maintained by infiniti dealer did not pull many stunts to ruin the engine valve seals and nothing else, in a calculated way to some how only show up about 100k later! lol. Or did he pull a calculated one?lol. I do the oil changes at 3k and I am not a racer most miles are highway anyways, since I live less than 2 miles from the highway. It is normal to have oil seal leakage at 140K what is not normal is to tear up the engine to change $5 seals. That is why I call it a design defect. Keep in mind cars in Japan are only running less than 8 years therefore they do not care if a simple part that suppose to wear out at 10 years or 100-150K is easy to change or not.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
well if you want me to run alldata tomrrow i cn check the blue book time on replceing valve seals. some shops that are not nissan will just remove the head and send it to a mchine shop and have them do the work. For the resone that some shops do not have the tools to do the job corectly.
Im so happy i have gread compretion and no oil leaks are cunsumption at all. My car gets beat to hell some times but when it comes time for service it gets pampered.
if you have time and do not need the car running. then you could send me the head and ill hook it up. then you just ned to reinstll the head. Im not saying your problem is the head or seals but if you want it done and have time i will rebuild and shim and the whole 9 yards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my new jdm low mileage motor showed 225 psi on a wet test after 5 or 6 strokes--

By the way, it's possible to have carbon buildup on the seats reduce compression -- A properly driven sr20 that was broken in right probably won't have bad rings.. It's not an american car.. Carbon deposits however are not only possible but likely...

For all cylinders to read the same compression and the engine runs well says the motor is in good condition--

As far as seals go, you don't have to remove the head to do it, just the cams-- valve springs, retainers, rockers, all that stuff--

$300 sounds about right for the parts/labor--

Just buy the seals and take them to a mechanic-- they could be badly worn due to climate--- and oil type--

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey p10det thanks for checking the books for me. just let me know how many hours of labor just to change the seals. I do not need to rebuilt the engine and dont wanna have the remove the head and all that to this. Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts