Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best way to repair a cracked/ripped dash?
On the top of the dash behind the steering wheel I’ve got a tear about 5-8 inches long. It’s pretty deep. I’m pretty certain it’s from sitting in the sun and drying out.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same thing. I replaced the dash and it only lasted about a year before the new one cracked. I used a windshield visor and everything. I think the vinyl cracks because of moisture/heat causing the material to constrict and split. If you live in a hot state (I'm in Texas), there isn't much you can do IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it was definitely from sitting in the sun for too long. It’s not as hot as Texas here - but it is clearly a tear from constriction.
I’ve seen some of those dash repair kits or leather/vinyl repair kits - so was hoping someone had good luck with that. I imagine it’s not great since it’s such a deep tear that it would have to be filled and maybe painted.

·
Administrator
5,857 Posts
Sun and humidity is the leading cause of cracks. Heat isn't so much an issue as direct exposure to the sun. The moisture causes the rubberized dash to expand and contract and eventually as it dries out it will crack. I've had a '95 dash in my P10 that was perfectly fine for years here in Phoenix (until I made it a race car) by simply adding a custom fit sun screen and cracking the windows. It gets to over 118 outside, 140+ in a car on a hot day, and never once cracked.

As far as repair... I've seen a lot of things but repairing one of them never really works, once it constricts and cracks, it never aligns again. Most guys will fill the crack with a black foam and shave it down, and then put a dash cover on it to help hide it I'm afraid.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had that problem in my BMW E30 and first of all tried to fill the crack with black silicone... OK it was better than before but the crack was still there.

Replace the dash is a must, I remember arround 10 years ago, a member on here bought from me a P10 dash, I sent it to Greece where he had his P10det. The chap was impressed about it, looked like new. I took it from a junk placed in a mountain region with only a little sun.

Use a good interior plastics conditioner to maintain it once you have replaced, another must. Mine is like new.

·
Registered
20,808 Posts
Buy one that has lived in Seattle its whole life. No sunlight is the perfect combo for vinyl.

·
Registered
13,188 Posts
We had a G20 from Phoenix that was already cracked dash when we bought it, once the car saw -30 degree weather it turned into a volcano of cracks so it only got worse. We just finished replacing the entire dash to improv e the car! (replacement dash out of an Illinois g20 junkyard which isn't as horrible to dashes as Phoenix)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts