Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That isnt what I have been doing, but I'm bothered by my cars resistance to want to shift into first and second gear.

I bought it used with 65k. It now only has 66k. I changed the 5 spd tranny fluid with Amsoil synthetic and hoped that would help the notchy gear engagement, but it hasnt.

The car really doest want to go into first gear unless the car is damn near a dead stop. Then from 1st to 2nd can be more effort than normal as well.

Who knows maybe the gears were abused before I got it, but is there anything I can check to fix this. When I was under it doing the tranny fluid, all the linkage was in great shape. Whats the deal?

Oh the car is a 2002 and the clutch has the typical (so Ive read) low engagement point. The clutch is fully disengaging though..

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
I don't really have a problem from 1st to 2nd, but my car wants to be shifted into 1st at about 2 mph. Not 1 mph, not 3mph... 2mph... Same deal with my buddy's '02 he had, and my '94 P10.... Hopefully others will chime in and confirm, but that portion of your problem sounds pretty typical...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't have any trouble with 1st gear, but it can be a little difficult to engage 2nd until the transmission warms up. Even after that it can be a little notchy.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Check your hydraulic fluid , make sure its topped off. Other than that I never go into first until i'm at a full stop and I never have any notchy shifting with this 99 g20. But on two of the G's I've owned in the past, one of them a 92 and the other was a 95, they both had the notchy shifting from 2nd to 1st. Maybe buying the shifter bushing would help it out, it runs for about tens dollars but you could probably find it even cheaper.

Gmac

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
I can shift into any gear at any time with no problem. I could probably shift into first at 60 mph if I wanted to... The Infiniti gearbox is much better than the one on my Subaru -- that one doesn't like being shifted into first, and second is difficult in cold weather.

·
Registered
653 Posts
the diffculty in shifting into first gear until you are near stop is a saftey thing so you don't overrev the car and blow the motor. your second gear prob could be any number of things, but i would take it to someone who knows more about tranny probs.

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
randyo156 said:
check it into 2nd b4 going into first
yeah that does help. another trick is to let the clutch pedal out 1/2 way, push it back in, and try to put it into gear...

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Double the clutch & get ya sinchro hubs looked @ :beard:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been having this problem as well, and it does seem to be worse in cold weather (well, as cold as AZ can get anyhow). Even if I'm at a dead stop, I have trouble getting it into first sometimes. When I am rolling a bit (like in traffic where I can't always come to a complete stop), it won't go into first and second is waaaay too low to get the car going again. I read somewhere else that this might be a problem with the clutch cable. I'm not real familiar with poking around in a transmission, so could that be the problem? If so, is it an easy adjustment?

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
J..M said:
Double the clutch & get ya sinchro hubs looked @ :beard:
Well, in my case, it's not the sync's because this car has done this from the beginning, and so did my previous G20 (exact same deal).... hmm...

Flygning said:
I have been having this problem as well, and it does seem to be worse in cold weather (well, as cold as AZ can get anyhow). Even if I'm at a dead stop, I have trouble getting it into first sometimes. When I am rolling a bit (like in traffic where I can't always come to a complete stop), it won't go into first and second is waaaay too low to get the car going again. I read somewhere else that this might be a problem with the clutch cable. I'm not real familiar with poking around in a transmission, so could that be the problem? If so, is it an easy adjustment?
99+ has hydro clutch, no cable, so in your case, no, that wouldn't be the problem..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts