Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first. I have a '92 p10 and I've had some '02 sport wheels sitting around collecting dust. So I finally pulled the trigger and bought new tires for the wheels so they'd clear without spacers. I got some 205/45 's off of Tirerack and had them installed this morning. According to the FAQ and multiple members these should've been fine. The back one's aren't clearing - they still rub some on the back strut tower! What the hell! What makes my ride so special?

I bought new tires so I wouldn't have to get spacers for it but now it looks like I might have to anyway.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
... there's a thread floating out there that says something about having to get spacers if you go with the sport wheels. just get some 5mm spacers and you should be gold. also on the plus side you'll look beefier with a wider stance ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think I was part of that thread. People have told me that they run the sport wheel with 205/45's and have no problem. I guess it's spacers for me afterall.....

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Why didn't you want to use spacers?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thefultonhow said:
Why didn't you want to use spacers?

I didn't want to install them myself since I seem to have a knack for screwing things up on my G. Breaking a switch, not a big deal - having your tires fly off, big deal. Plus, I've read that its one of those things that if not done correctly, can have pretty dire consequences. That and no shops will do it around here due to liability. :(

I'd be more than happy to try if I had someone with some experience help me out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You didn't install longer bolts? Or is there enough thread to fit on 5mm with no issues?

If so, I'd like to be the first to say, "Sweet" or whatever it is the kids are saying these days.

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
ej_up_late said:
You didn't install longer bolts? Or is there enough thread to fit on 5mm with no issues?

If so, I'd like to be the first to say, "Sweet" or whatever it is the kids are saying these days.
no need to change the studs. im using 5mm spacers on my p11 right now. i cant remeber if i used 5 or 8 mm on my p10. i think 10mm spacer is the limit for stock bolts. try asking MEP, he will know more.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cryss said:
no need to change the studs. im using 5mm spacers on my p11 right now. i cant remeber if i used 5 or 8 mm on my p10. i think 10mm spacer is the limit for stock bolts. try asking MEP, he will know more.

I'm pretty sure thats what I was told before, now that I think about it. 5 mm should be fine. Now, where to buy them from........ I'm thinking Option Imports. Anyone have a favorite?

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
ej_up_late said:
I'm pretty sure thats what I was told before, now that I think about it. 5 mm should be fine. Now, where to buy them from........ I'm thinking Option Imports. Anyone have a favorite?
i got mine off ebay :nervous:

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Yeah, just as long as you torque the lugs to spec there won't be a problem. Easy as changing a flat. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had no idea it was such an easy thing to do. :)
I talked to a local tire guy here and he read me the riot act about putting spacers on. All about how unsafe they are and the like. You'd have thought I was trying to use puppies as brake pads at a PETA rally. He was a dick!

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
It really depends on the tyre carcass shape. Rounded shoulders will clear better than squared shoulders. 205/45 usually clear regardless though, I'm surprised. After all, 205/45-16s are the same overall diameter as P10 tyres and the offset is 45mm like P10 wheels. The only difference is the slight increase in inward protrusion due to the tyres being on 1/2" wider wheels.

It is strange though. The GTSE wheels I have on now, used to be fitted to a P10 with no problems but when another P10 owner tried them on, they rubbed so bad that he couldn't turn the wheel with the nuts tight.

I bet you only need a few mm extra.

Mep runs 8mm spacers but he would never say yea it's fine to run them. That's why the wheel guy was like that....if they fit them and you have a problem then they are at fault. I know plenty of people who run 5mm spacers on std length studs, but like Mep, I would never say yea it's fine...I will say that I've never seen or heard of anyone with a problem though.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would get the H&R 5 or 10mm spacer kit with longer studs. I ran SE-R wheels w/snows on my NX and I had to use my 5mm rear spacers on the front to clear the brakes. The lugs came loose a few times but I luckily caught it before the wheels fell off. I always torque them with a torque wrench too. When I run those spacers in the rear with the longer studs they have never come loose...

I know a certain forum owner from Boston that lost a wheel on his SE-R a few years ago. It wasn't a good situation.

It's very easy to swap to the longer studs. You just need a bfh and about an hour of time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts