Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the brakes on my P10 that I just bought aren't that great. They stop the car, but it takes longer than usual and the ABS light is on. Well I drove it to a station to check it out and they told me that the front rotors need to be replaced, and the rear passanger side caliper piston is sitting at an angle, so the rear calipers needed to be replaced.....so I went home, and I took the rear tires and brake pads off and played around with the piston, and it seems fine. It's not twisted or anything and sits flush on the brake pad. However, I think the reason I'm getting crappy braking is that the rotors messed up....they have bumps and crap on them, probably due to sitting around at the dealership for so long. Anyway, I'm not sure if I should go ante up some money for new rotors and pads, or if the problem has something to do with the ABS system, due to the ABS light being on. ABS doesn't work by the way I don't think. I removed both of the ABS relays while the car was running and nothing changed (no noise or whatever). So I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
just spray some water on your street, get her up to 20 and slam the brakes as u pass over the water :p
its actually fun to do just for the hell of it lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
take a flap wheel on a disc grinder and scour off all the rust on the rotors, then put them back on the car, should be a lot better. then go on a back road and do some heavy braking to flatten them off again.

Mike

·
Registered
844 Posts
ive got an f'd up rotor that needs replacing so someone showed me ,Front%2BBrake%2BRotor,EPIsubcategory[247],Rear%2BBrake%2BRotor,partGroup,14]this website. they've got tons of rotors for cheap. i think some are resurfaced but they have all kinds. check em out they seem to have good prices. im probably gonna be on there soon enough getting a rotor as well. btw i just put in 94 g20 cuz thats my car, you might need to change the year although i think we have the same rotors anyway.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The 99+ rotors are 280mm or 11" diameter in front, same 258 mm in rear. Older models had 258mm front stock. Are these for your 2000T (P11) or another P10?
Those are some really good prices. Is there any reason not get the cheapest ones instead of the Brembos?
I myself bought 2 new Brembos for $70 shipped. I don't remember the site though. I will post if I find it.

Rotors really only need replacement if they are not smooth when braking, if you feel some shaking or shuddering.
A good pad and well bled braking fluid would show more noticeable effect on braking if the Rotors are smooth.
If your rotors are truly rough, like you said, I think they should shudder a lot and they should lock-up ,ore abruptly dew to the rotor imperfections.
________
Mercedes-benz 300 slr

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I don't think there is anything wrong with the calipers...I took out the pads and pressed the brake pedal so the piston would come out out and it looked fine. They said it was at an angle or something. But I did notice that the rotors were all glazed with this rusty shit. Not all over but in certain parts of the rotor.

·
Registered
844 Posts
MrFancypants said:
If youre going to replace the rotors/calipers anyway, go ahead and upgrade them to the P11 brakes.

- Greg -
i thought p11 brakes didnt clear stock p10 wheels?

·
Registered
844 Posts
markbuts3 said:
He already said in another thread he was fitting 15" P11 wheels :)
ah wasnt aware. now it makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts