Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing the stock cd-player head unit on my '96 G20 with a JVC KD-SX980. Crutchfield wanted to sell me the OEM adapter (142CNN03) and the antenna adapter (12040N10)...

1. has anyone bought the "OEM Adapter" and if so, did it hook up nicely to the stock wiring?

2. were there any tricks to this, or tips?

3. has anyone used/heard the KD-SX980? I tried it in Best Buy, but there's lots of other stuff going on in those stores and it's the best environment...

thanks,

.sushi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
typo

sorry, I meant that best buy is NOT the best environment...

come on, someone's gotta have used their adapter....speak up!

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
from what i know i beleive you can buy either a nissan specific adapter or you can buy the universl crutchfield adapter and as far as i know the crutchfield one is simple plug and play ..
maybe someone else could shed more light on this for you..
casual

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know if this info will help you or not. I used to have a '92 G20 with a factory cassette deck. When I replaced it, the installers used an adapter for Nissan cars and it worked fine. I've not heard anything about the Crutchfield adapter, but I have no reason to believe it won't work. Crutchfield is quite a reputable company, so their products should do what they say they'll do. This is just my reasoning; don't take it as fact.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Crutchfield adapters are the same as any generic one. But an adapter is a must if you're not a pro and figuring out wires. It's worth the 20 bucks and will make installation go over real simple.

I'm not certain, since G20's have aftermarket amplifiers, if the install will go smoothly though. I'm not sure how the amplifier will react because it feeds off a preamp coming from the receiver. Now it's going to be a high-level signal.

Either way, I'd strongly recommend getting the adapter. And you NEED the antenna adapter, unless you feel like splicing on a normal style antenna plug.

·
Registered
194 Posts
rmjjensen said:
I'm not certain, since G20's have aftermarket amplifiers, if the install will go smoothly though. I'm not sure how the amplifier will react because it feeds off a preamp coming from the receiver. Now it's going to be a high-level signal.

Not all G20's have amplifiers. Look inside your trunk, underneath the rear deck. If you see some things that look like amplifiers that have wires going to the speakers, you have them. There should be preamp outputs on your new head unit that you can use to connect to the amps if the connection the adapter makes doesn't work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amps

yeah, i have the famous two silver boxes on the rear deck...I assume those are the amps...

there are preamp outputs on the new head unit I'm thinking about buying...doesn't look like such a big problem anymore.

thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
try buyen it from ebay. alot cheaper!! u can get the oem(harness) wires from like walmart for 10$ use them, just as good. u might have a problem with ur rear speakers, as in u might blow them in a month b/c u are givin them more power then normal. easist and cheapest way to make sure u dont is to by-pass this by runen speaker wires from the head unit to the rear speakers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah i had the crutchfield adapter for use with the stock speakers and the stock amps. it cost 50 bucks but its is a very basic install. and the antenna adapter from crutchfield was free. i had no problems with it and sounded fine. i sold my adapter b/c i upgraded my speakers, but you probably can buy one off someone for cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts