Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've read around but haven't found any info from the search engine. So I decided to post here. I have an Idea of what Cryo Treating is. I just want to know exactly what it is? From what I gathered it's a coating put on somehow onto the Nissan's Gears, and it helps keep the temperature lowering in the tranny? How does that help out the gears. My friend said it'd probably have something to do with the molocules in the tranny? Well that's nice, but can someone break it down for me a little bit better than that?
Oh yeah, and what's this thing called that I hear about filing down and smoothing down the gears? Or Case welding.. what do all these things do? Because everyone I ask that knows a lot about messing around with cars has never heard of cryo treating. So I'm up in the air with this one.:-\

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Cryo treating and heat treating are opposite sides of the same coin and attempt to do exactly the same thing. Heat and cryo treating involve heating or cooling the the metal to a set temperature and bringing the temperature back to ambient in a controlled fashion. This realigns the grain of the metal in a tighter fashion resulting in greater strength.

You also want to have the parts shot-peened at the same time. Shot peening stress relieves the parts and also does some realigning and tightening as well IIRC.

This is all done for strenghtening purposes.

I think Mike Kojima has described this process in better technical detail on the SE-R Mailing List than I can.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool: Alright, kool. Well now I really do know what heat treating and cryo treating is. Thanks

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
also what other parts are reasonable to be cryo treated too ? i've heard of them done for brakes anything else

would this alo be good for suspension components to reduce flex

thanks
casual

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I went out today and asked locally about the cryo stuff and the closest i got was a treatment called " Nightriding" nothing to do with david hasslehoff, but its a form of case hardening. Only porblems are, that this process induces growth, which aint good, and then the components would then have to be machined down to the correct tollerences. Also, to do just one gear will set me back about $100 USD !!! and i cant imagine how many gears there are in my box.

Still working on it, and i still need to know which parts need done, ie, just the gears/teeth and or the whole shaft including gears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts