Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that you can get cupholders out of some VW and they fit right in that section above the ashtray. I know you've probably talked about this before, but I didn't find a solution when I searched the forum. Anyone know if VW holders fit and if any mods need to be done to the dash?

Your knowledge is much appreciated! Thanks :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
my p10 came stock with a cupholder in that slot.... everyone says they didn't come with G20s though so i don't know where they got it. maybe they pulled it from an i30/q45?

but i am the original owner so i know someone didn't get it from a different car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's cool then. I guess I'll check with infiniti. So are yours the pop out type (where you push them in and they pop out) or do they just pull out? and do you have a 5-speed? Just wondering if they get in the way of 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

Thanks again

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
hypo said:
my p10 came stock with a cupholder in that slot.... everyone says they didn't come with G20s though so i don't know where they got it.
It was an optional extra. Most people didn't get it due to the $100 price tag.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Okay Jeremy, I was wrong. It wasnt a VW, but a Saab. Here are some pictures of the cupholders installed into a P10.

They can be bought of Ebay. Search for Saab cupholders. They fit in a standard DIN slot and requires only a little work to install. Take off the trim, then remove the DIN box and attach the new cupholder unit. You push the button, it pops out. It also has a change tray.

·
Registered
65 Posts
my 93 p10 has the drawer that springs out with the slider piece for holding cans. i guess japanese cars always have can-sized cupholders since there are so many different types of drinks that come in cans over there (cream corn soda!) perhaps they like to standardize, like they do with cell phones.

anyhow...i rarely drive with a drink...if i do, its a 20oz bottle that i can keep shut...as for fast food cups...WHY ARE YOU EATING IN YOUR G20?! heh.

the middle console can usually hold bigger cups.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Hey KBSlacker.. your link to the cupholder just threw me into the generic AF page.. what gives?

...also, I wonder if most Japanese don't even drink anything in their car and the cupholder was an afterthought for the American market?

...I know that most German cars didn't come with cupholders for the longest time... and it was an obvious afterthought on my former BMW Z3...

I like cupholders for bottles of water (the one thing I allow in my car since water doesn't stain like pop)...

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
o.k.

saw it that time.. thanks..

Geez. that looks like it is really inconvenient! --especially with it just about touching the shifter... oh well... better than nothing I suppose!!!

Is Igor that person's real name? I just get the giggles when I hear someone called Igor because it brings back childhood memories of Igor and Frankenstein.... I guess that is just me huh?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Carefull theres a whole mess of modification that needs to be done to put the Saabs in a P10. The empty din on a P10 is also recessed much deeper than fan controls, head unit, etc. so most cups will be leaning forward tipping over. The cupholder looks so different after I got done with it. I know someone with a Se-r cupholder in his empty din and it works much better than the saab one except you have to make a trim piece on the top to fill a small open gap. If there is an p10 factory cupholder that would be your best bet unless you're on a budget or like to be super crafty like me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
hypo said:
my p10 came stock with a cupholder in that slot.... everyone says they didn't come with G20s though so i don't know where they got it. maybe they pulled it from an i30/q45?

but i am the original owner so i know someone didn't get it from a different car.

You're right, they didn't come with the G20. I believe they're from an I30, but work just fine in a G20. The dealer could do this when you bought your car for a mere $100 extra! :eek:

j3r3my-95 said:
that's cool then. I guess I'll check with infiniti. So are yours the pop out type (where you push them in and they pop out) or do they just pull out? and do you have a 5-speed? Just wondering if they get in the way of 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

I'm not sure how they work, but they are the kind that you push in and the come out automatically. It's a smooth action, not quick, so I don't think it's a spring. I have no problems with it getting in the way of shifting. If I have a large cup in there, then I can't access all of the heating/cooling controls, but I don't really drink in the car often enough for me to complain. I use the tray part of it more than I do the cup holder. It's a nice feature to have, but not at all necessary. I just wish they made both of the holders the same size instead of putting that little one on the left. I can't fit anything in there.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
a thought...

If they are from an I30, someone who wants this should check the junkyards (up for it kbslacker?) and get one from an I30 wreck and try it out.. My guess is that route will be a lot cheaper than factory/dealer new for $100... that is way too steep for a cup holder if you ask me!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: a thought...

Chris said:
If they are from an I30, someone who wants this should check the junkyards (up for it kbslacker?) and get one from an I30 wreck and try it out.. My guess is that route will be a lot cheaper than factory/dealer new for $100... that is way too steep for a cup holder if you ask me!
So look for 95-99 I30 or 90-96 Q45 cupholders then?:-\

·
Registered
27 Posts
cupholders

check out
http://www.drinkholders.com/auto/universal/unimainflat.htm

for their universal flat or door mounted holders, these are used in mainly euro cars since many did not come with cup/drink holders.

I tried calling a saab dealer but couldn't locate the 2 piece cupholder slot and coin tray slot DIN piece part #, they do have 1 piece units. If anyone has access to an Audi, maybe you can measure the dimensions for the cupholders, I recall being in SEaRl's older A4 and it really had cool cupholders..like it was really smooth.

Also check out seriousauto.com for their "Really Nice Flip Down Cup Holder"@ $15.00 11-01018-01 this is popular with the miata crowd

·
Registered
616 Posts
The pics KB supplied are of my interior. I'm really happy with the cupholder (BTW it was used in early 90's Tauruses as well, check your junkyards) but the part I like best is the coin tray. It is a bit of a mess to install, but since the hole is standard-DIN, why not go junkyarding, looking through all kinds of cars until you find the ideal unit?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts