Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What luck!! My wife was driving to PA this morning and all of a sudden, she saw a circular saw blade bouncing on the highway (flew off a truck.) She was in pretty heavy traffic, doing about 45 mph, so she could not move out of the way! She said that it sounded like it hit her, bounced, and then hit her again, on the front bumper. The car is 5 days old and now has a big paint chip and 5 punctures in the bumper!!!

She called me crying about what happened. I told her at least it did not fly throught the windshield!!

Is this something that can be repaired without replacing the bumper? Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
218 Posts
OUCH!!!

Sorry to hear about that, man. It can probably be fixed without replacing the bumper (either via filler orplastic welding). However; either way is probably not going to be cheap. Take 'er down to a few body shops and have them give you an estimate. Just be prepared to cry when they tell you how much (I'm betting on $300+).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is between $300 and $500, I'll be happy! I haven't seen the damage yet (my wife won't be home until Thursday). I'm basically going by her description and her father's description. Yeah, that's not cheap, but it could be worse!! That's $300-$500 I could be spending more on the audio of MY car!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
maybe u can cover it up with a stillen lip or get the insurance to pay for it. another thing is if your wife saw the truck that dropped the saw u can go to them and make them pay for it. its thier fault of course and is a road hazard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
viet-g20 said:
maybe u can cover it up with a stillen lip or get the insurance to pay for it. another thing is if your wife saw the truck that dropped the saw u can go to them and make them pay for it. its thier fault of course and is a road hazard
I wish she did see it!! Because of the traffic, she could not get a license plate number or even see the sign on the truck. She stopped at a rest area at the NJ-PA border to talk to a cop. The cop told her to go back into NJ and visit the headquarters to file a report. She did that and the police then told her they will not file a report without a license plate number or better description of the vehicle. Oh well, worst case, I pay my insurance deductible, but my deductible is $500!!

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
notmyG20 said:
Is this something that can be repaired without replacing the bumper? Thanks a ton!
Dude that totally sucks, but you can do the repairs yourself if your handy. Body work is all about the feel and keeping the lines on the work. Here are a couple of threads with my bumper that I did some work on....

Body Work Thread - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t28704.html

Painting Thread - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t30837.html

Use the Ultimate Bondo, if you can find it, and take your time.

If you can live without your bumper for a while take it off to do all of this (its really not that hard to take off). And drive another car if you have one. If not, try not to drive without the bumper, you may ruin the plastic wheel well liner like I did. Shit, if your good enough, you can mod your bumper while your at it

Use 600 grit and above sand paper, to remove the paint in the areas and dont sand too hard into the plastic, it will begin to rough up. Mix the bondo appropriately, and spread in thin even layers. If you need to build up the layer, sand the one previous to give it better adhesion. When you fill a hole, make sure the bondo goes thru and spreads out like a mushroom on the back side..

When you get it all pretty like, take it to a reputable paint shop (the first one I went too never did it in the time they said). It should cost you $200 or less to get it painted. But DO NOT use the primer in a spray can, just leave it as is. Most professional paint shops use special paint systems that have their own primer/paint/clear coat combinations. Also talk to them to see if you can schedual a time if your able to just bring in the bumper. This will save you some money since they will not have to mask off the rest of the car to paint it.

Also, the paint code for your vehicle is located on the firewall in the engine bay, the painters will need this.

......good luck man...may the force be with you.....

Oh yeah, you can find the follow up on the new grill here..

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346

·
Registered
527 Posts
At least the wife was OK which is the main thing.

B-Boogie...is this the start of another curse ???:(
Maybe the G20NET Curse !!!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Primera Man said:
B-Boogie...is this the start of another curse ???:(
Maybe the G20NET Curse !!!
Don't even go there man! :angry: :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts