Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted a little thing a few months back about my '99 being a dirty whore, well she finally kicked the bucket last night, I do believe. I had just left a Reds game (they lost, of course, to the Brewers) and the first red light I get to, not even 5 minutes into driving from the parking garage, it did that thing I had talked about where it kicks down into neutral when I'm in drive and I don't know about it until I let off the brake and I just sit there instead of advancing as it, an automatic, should do. SO, as there were cars behind me being that I was the first one at the light, I hit the gas when the light turned green and instead of accelerating, and instead of red lining, which I've never done, it made a god awful grinding flutter sound and the car died. It jerked too, cuz the guys in my car thought we'd be rear-ended, but we hadn't. So, every time I'd start her back up, it had a strange sound to it, like a squeaking metal flutter sound? I don't know how to describe it, but it would start, and as soon as I put it into any gear, 1, 2, D or R, it would die immediately. So the guys had to push the car into a parking lot. I looked under the hood and everything looked normal, all the fluids seemed fine, so I got on the ground and looked up under the car and there is a nice little puddle of transmission fluid dripping down. So I'm fucked, right? My transmission finally said "I quit!" ??? I had to have it towed to our auto shop guy's place, but he can't get to the car until Friday or some time next week. I'm just expecting to have a bill ranging from $1500-$5000 and I'm dreading it. He had told me that my motor mounts were shot and that he'd replace them for $650, so I know that definately still needs to be done, he told me that a few months ago. Any advice? I'm just assuming the tranny is dust in the wind, I really have no idea, but everyone I've talked to agrees with me. If I need a new one, what do you recommend? I don't want a huge racing style thing, just something that will keep the car running smoothly, from point A to point B. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Note, I just got this car used in January with 96k and I've got a nice little loan still kicking for the next 3 years with the bank so I'm not giving up on this hunk of metal. Help!

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Sorry to hear about the ordeal, buy a used tranny, and replace the seals and new fluid. Thats the problem with most people, they dont EVER get a transmission flush and then the tranny goes bye bye, my 1st P11 AUTO boosted at 80k miles that I had been manually shifting it (1,2,D) never gave me one issue, I would do the tranny flush at the dealer for $70 every 40k miles, it was a 2001. $650 for motor mounts? WTF!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they found a used tranny with 80k on it for $850 and will put it in for me for $400 in labor. They're also going to change the motor mounts and said it'll be a lot cheaper since it's all taken apart already. My main concern is if this tranny is already shot like mine was. I'm just worried in 10-20k this 'new' one is going to go out. I guess I really have no choice, a 'new rebuilt' one is $2600 and they said my original one that just blew is nonrepairable because it is in pieces. I hate machines.

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
that stinks... motor mounts after market are under $100... i dont see why you should be spending THAT much... i dont know..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts