Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my tax money coming back in a few months, i'm gonna use that $$$ and drop my G20. I just need a few suggestions from you guys. I'm definately going with the GC coilovers. But my question is, Can i just get those to complete my suspension set up?? or do I have to go the whole nine and get all new shocks, lower tie bar, struts, etc. ?? I mean, I don't race my car or beat it do death. I never have X-amount of people in my car to weigh it down and screw up the suspension if I was to ride on the stock shocks? So do you think I can get away with it and save money by NOT getting aftermarket shocks and ONLY getting GC coilovers? By getting the GC coilovers only , will they ride ok and be fine with just the stock shocks?? thanks for your help ! =)

·
Registered
218 Posts
The stock shocks only work well with the stock springs. Period.

If you change springs you NEED to change shocks. Otherwise your ride is going to be crap and your shocks will wear out incredibly fast. There's another thread on here that discusses this problem. Check it out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I too am looking at new suspension.

Despite what people say about your stock suspension I have been told by my contact at nissan uk that you can use your existing Shocks and just use lowering springs (only thing you have to really worry about is when you are jacking it up that the springs, becasue they are smaller dont slip out of where they should be, apparently this can happen if you lower the jack too quickly) so people saying you cant do it arent exactly true.... although I would like to add that their comments about bumpy rides and not doing it properly are totally valid.

I have heard reports that running lowering springs on stock shocks has been fine and I have also heard that people have had problems so its 6 of one half a dozen of the other but as I'm sure a great many people will say:

If you want to do it properly then go the whole hog and Get New Shocks and New Springs...... getting only the springs is only doing half the job.

Hope this helps you but I have certainly made up my mind to have the whole lot done.... it will make my ride a hell of a lot better

Cheers
Kev

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
People that don't complain about the ride when they lower their car on stock shocks either A) dont' notice them getting progressively worse (usually over only a couple months) or B) haven't been in a properly lowered car yet.

I used to laugh at Dom (dpro) when he had his Eibachs on stock shocks. Bouncing down the steet. I don't know if he noticed a difference until he got a ride in my car with the TEINS.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G20 SpoRt 2002 said:

Hey I have the Eibachs on stock shocks, Im not bouncing that bad!! But I dunno maybe I am but I like the ride :lol: :monster:
IIRC you just put them on recently. Give it about 4-6 months. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just get the Tein's...yeah they are a bit pricey but in the end they're worth it. I have them and I love them. I also went the Eibach route and it was just a waste of money. Also with the Tein's it gives more of a drop and it looks much nicer.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
CiViCtoG20 said:
So do you think I can get away with it and save money by NOT getting aftermarket shocks and ONLY getting GC coilovers? By getting the GC coilovers only , will they ride ok and be fine with just the stock shocks?? thanks for your help ! =)

NO

No friggin way.

Yes, you can physically do it. You could also purposefully hit your head with a hammer. Buy why would you want to?

The stock dampers are not capable in the least of handling springs with the rates you will get with Ground Control coilovers. Your ride will be crap. You will be bouncing around like crazy. I'd go so far as to say it would be dangerous. It would be like driving around with a totally stock car with totally blown struts.

It will also look stupid as you drive around, bouncing around like that. If you are getting some bucks back from Uncle Sam, spend the money to do it right.

I personally wouldn't consider using Eibach Prokits or H&R springs with stock dampers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx fellaz. at least by getting all that input it'll give me a sense of direction as to get the FULL suspension done or going the cheaper route but also paying the price if not done correctly. my next question is: Are the TIENs just a drop spring? or an adjustable coilover? and does the TIEN set-up come with shocks to?? does it come w/ the works ???? FULL suspension set up? TIEN priced around $850 for our P11s ??? :-\

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just a guess but for $850 I would expect Shocks and springs.

Hope this helps
Kev

·
Registered
859 Posts
go for shocks and springs man, I've ended up doing it the long way round.....got the H&R springs with stock shocks, at first the ride was ok but now 5mths later the ride is progressively getting worse, I've now bought myself some Koni shocks which I should have done at the start....save yourself the hassle, and do it right the first time....unlike me.....:depressed

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks. Most likely...TEINs it is !!!!! but are the TEIN springs adjustable coilovers? or a drop spring??? :-\

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
CiViCtoG20 said:
ok thanks. Most likely...TEINs it is !!!!! but are the TEIN springs adjustable coilovers? or a drop spring??? :-\
Coilovers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts