Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and welcome to my fist post

I have a 40GB MP3 player (iRiver iHP-140) that doesn't need replacement. Part of the reason I chose it was the optical output.

2 years pass and I've just acquired my first car, a 1999 g20 (130k miles, I love the thing.)

Currently I use a cassette adapter. It's really not that great. There's hiss from the MP3 player's output, cassette technology, and the stereo amplification of both hisses.

What I would like is an stereo deck with an optical input. My budget would be around $100. I've tried searching, but I must be using the wrong terms because nothing comes up specifying optical input (or because it's probably not very common/popular.)

I was hoping that I could find help here finding a deck (the console portion of the stereo) with optical input, maybe some advice/resources on what to look for and avoid.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Best be careful: MF Doom wants his name back :)
From what I have seen an optical input into a headunit is fairly non-existent. If you are dead set in using it..I have two suggestions. Alpine jut came out with an mp3 connection for their head units (little box you plug it into, probably very clear audio, I dont know how much controll it gives you.) Or, you could skip the headunit and get an amp that has an optical input (which many do), and simply plug your mp3 player into it, and use it to controll your muic..otherwise, you have plenty of headunits with auxilary inputs that sound great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MF Can rhyme his name off my cold dead hands.

Thanks a lot for your input, Kerr.

I thought they wouldn't be popular due to lack of promotion (more people want the FM transmitters -- yuck.)

Aux would be a lot better than a cassette, so I'll go for that as a minimum.

The amplifier input captures my attention. Quick question: With an optical inserted directly in the amp, does the deck still control the volume? I assume it does (as any other way would seem too cumbersome for a car setting.)

The other drawback is that i only wanted to eliminate a little distortion, and an amp with an optical input is overkill for stock Bose speakers. I was thinking about replacing them and selling the Bose ones, hoping the name would boost the price a little.

Any suggestions on that?

I would bump my budget to ~$250 to replace the amp and speakers. I know Bose is easily replaceable, and maybe even selling the Bose would bring the overall cost to less than $175.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
lol the MF chatter is funny!!
I am no help for your radio, you shoulda got a pod...lol
Id say just go aux in

·
Registered
978 Posts
the only one i can think of is the one i have, however it is not optical. it's the kenwood kdc x590. It has a rear USB2.0 input on it (it has a cable coming out that you can drop into your glove box). Plug your iriver into it and it will play all of the mp3/wma music you have on it, as long as the iriver dosen't require any special software to edit it's file's and is seen as a mass storage device. I've used my mp3 player on it, as well as 3 various thumb drives and they all work great and the sound quality is awesome (but i'm no audiophile).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KK7rC5E679I/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113KDCX590

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the generation I got my MP3 player, 2004, its features annihilated that of the iPod (FM radio, longer battery life, optical in/out, analog in/out, built in mic to record, optional mic to record, backlit LCD remote included.)

One of the things it had was USB2.0 connection without the need of drivers or proprietary software, which that Kenwood deck would definitely take advantage of. (iPod only has these options because its so popular and manufacturers accomodate for it. I like my driver free freedom ;))

Plastikcaktus, that model would suit me well. I will look into it if I can't find a deck with a simple optical input. I'll probably get it through ebay since prices appear to be about $100 cheaper.

I doubt it, but just making sure: I won't need an amp or adapter to make it work, will I? My G20 is stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even if you do find a head unit with optical in... in the long run it won't make much difference as you are still going to have to run RCA leads to Amps... so it will lose the quality here. You're best bet is using line-out from your iriver into Aux in on a head unit. Get something with a high voltage on the RCA's and it'll be fine

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have 2 HU's both with toslilnk optical inputs. 1 is my old Alpine CDA-7949 it was their flagship hu back in 97', full copper case, no internal amps like it should be, but only played high quality cd-rs with gold/gold layering. I don't even think they make cd-rs like that anymore especially in spindles. My volume button fell off so its being held on internally by a sandwich wire tie but I used the remote anyways. Other than that it works great. They still sell on ebay pretty cheap compared to the 800 price tag 9 years ago. I forgot how to make it accept the optical for your application. I know in the settings you can turn the digital input on and off. But that only works with ai-net changers/processors that utilize the toslink. I know theres a alpine adapter that plugs into your ai-net and basically tricks the HU to think it has a CD-Changer but actually is and AUX. input. Then I think in that mode, with the optical/D.Input on it should work.
My other deck is 99' Alpine 7969. It's niiiice...I liiike! It's considered Alpine's last true SQ deck. I haven't heard an Alpine F1 but I've heard that the 7969 is the F1 prototype. First Phantom face deck, external dc-convertor, 24bit x-over, time alignment, toslink and auxillary input, the spec list is pretty long look it up. They didn't make too many of these and they retailed for 1200bucks. My only gripe with this deck is the ribbon that gets folded when it closes/opens gets worn and I've got one row of twitching pixels on the face. Now I'm curious to see what sounds better between Ai-net Ipod adapter vs. Optical mp3 player w/ toslink aux. No reason to replace this bad boy look at the Alpine 7909 still sells on ebay for over 600 bucks!
The other optical deck I'd look into is the older Pioneer DEX P9. And even though it will go RCA's to amps your source deck does make a difference. I once sent in my deck back to alpine because the lcd was going q-bert and hooked up some random sony cd-player my roomate had sitting around and the same cd's lost so much detail and picked up distortion hiss etc.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Madvillain said:
At the generation I got my MP3 player, 2004, its features annihilated that of the iPod (FM radio, longer battery life, optical in/out, analog in/out, built in mic to record, optional mic to record, backlit LCD remote included.)

One of the things it had was USB2.0 connection without the need of drivers or proprietary software, which that Kenwood deck would definitely take advantage of. (iPod only has these options because its so popular and manufacturers accomodate for it. I like my driver free freedom ;))

Plastikcaktus, that model would suit me well. I will look into it if I can't find a deck with a simple optical input. I'll probably get it through ebay since prices appear to be about $100 cheaper.

I doubt it, but just making sure: I won't need an amp or adapter to make it work, will I? My G20 is stock.

Thanks.
you would just need to get nissan harness...i think metra makes it...as well as a special antenna adapter thingy. I'm running the stock amps with the bose speakers and it sounds great, although I did stick a sub in the trunk as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've decided to go for a deck with a line in and 1 subwoofer. What car audio resource do you guys recommend (a website, or something?)

Or, if possible (usually there's one for every hobby) is there a single radio deck and subwoofer (amp?) that stands out as a fantastic value? I'm thinking around $200-250 for both the deck and subwoofer.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ebay is cheapest hands down (unless you dont want to installl...). Otherwise go local and pay more for the free install. Later villain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would much rather install it myself. I'm tech inclined, with the ability to assemble computers myself. Connections, manuals provided, shouldn't be a problem (something documentation and g20.net should be able to provide.) I also have some handywork experience, and my friend does a lot of carpentry. We also have some patience as to not break stuff (again, with online resources it shouldn't be much of an issue.)

So, along with a deck, is there any type of connector I will need to replace the radio? I chose a powered subwoofer to eliminate the need of an amplifier, removing some assembly in that area.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like an AUXNISSv2 could be the wire I need. At $85 its price is barely justifiable (when an entire new deck with an input, along with other features, isn't much more expensive.) Still, I would like to make the least amount of cosmetic changes possible. A silver bezel (like radio decks are) around a black dashboard is pretty tacky.

So right now I think I'm going with
1x AUXNISSv2 (or AUXNISSv3, still researching)
1x Infinity Basslink 10"

Resources found regarding assembly:
http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20353 Deck changing
http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43582 ipod installing

Searching for subwoofer installation now

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I was looking for a head unit for my last car I ended with a Pioneer - thing is I spent just over $100 and it has no INPUTS (although it has a healthy number of outputs....)

The next model up with the same look as the one I have had the inputs (USB/3.5 mini plug) from the rear - although I don't know how long they were as it was just under $200 - which was over my budget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Madvillain said:
It looks like an AUXNISSv2 could be the wire I need. At $85 its price is barely justifiable (when an entire new deck with an input, along with other features, isn't much more expensive.) Still, I would like to make the least amount of cosmetic changes possible. A silver bezel (like radio decks are) around a black dashboard is pretty tacky.

So right now I think I'm going with
1x AUXNISSv2 (or AUXNISSv3, still researching)
1x Infinity Basslink 10"

Resources found regarding assembly:
http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20353 Deck changing
http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43582 ipod installing

Searching for subwoofer installation now
Pioneer head units tend to be BLACK - with either two large flat controls at the ends or one round 'pod' type controller on the left (facing the unit)...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts