Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is the best upgrade for the G20 a DET ?

doesnt anyone like the VE ? it puts out almoist the same HP as the DET -stock, but bolt ons are more friendly to the DET. going NA is more reliable than turbo right ? Why is everyone going to the DET, is it easier and cheaper to get ??

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
ve is a lot newer and therefor(sp) more expensive

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The VE is an excellent option for a G20, but they are expensive, and they have a limited future. A VE makes 180-some WHP stock. Tune it a little, get big N1 cams, and you might exceed 200 WHP. An otherwise-stock DET out of a Bluebird or an Avenir with nothing more than a $20 boost controller makes over 200 out of the box. You do the math...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The VE has me sold only because It's NA. I know it will be more reaiable, then the DET because the turbo puts alot of stress of the engine. The VE does however have bad things about it most performance parts are only avaiable in Japan. Although Hotshot is suppously working on a VE header. You can easily exceed 200hp in a VE. Some guys on the sr20deforum.com are at about 200 or just over the 200hp level but those are in ser's but that doesn't really make a difference. As far as the swap goes I think It's pretty straight forward because the VE is out of a primera. The main reason I want a VE so bad is becuase No one with a g20 has ever done a VE swap. Plus most guys on the forms are throwing in turbos left and right. I want to be different. So I think the VE is for me.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You cannot prove that a VE is any more reliable than a well-tuned DET. What you do with your boost controllers and outboard fuel computers is up to you, but it's not really reasonable to assume that one is any safer than the other. To level the field a bit, just assume you have a JWT ECU attached to either one. The JWT DET's maps are almost harmfully rich, and the timing isn't much more agressive than a stock Bluebird's map is, so where's the harm?

Reliability is in the keypad of the tuner and foot of the driver. I fully dig the whole dare to be different aspect, though, and there's no way that a VE swap is any more complicated than a DET swap; there's simply less plumbing, if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I didn't think N1 cams fit in the SR20VE motor, i thought it was the regular SR16VE cams that fit?
I'd choose a VE over a DET for my uses because I wouldn't have to worry about overheating in the Az summertime heat while running the A/C. ~200whp isn't far off with a SR20VE and that's PLENTY of power. I've ridden in a Classic SE-R with 210whp with a T25 at 6-7psi and that was as fast as I'd ever need my G20 to go, probably faster (traps in the low 10x.xx mph range in the quarter). For a track car that'd be enough power to keep close, or pass most anything on the straights, and with the linear powerband the N/A motor would provide you wouldn't have to worry about wheelspin coming out of turns... or at least it wouldn't be quite as bad, probably easier to modulate....
VE for me is the ideal solution because of my environment, turbos just don't like excess heat, neither do I (I need to keep my A/C). I'm just waiting for the price to drop, I'm sure it will in time...

·
Registered
429 Posts
From reading

From reading past posts I have gathered (and I am sure I might be wrong) that you can only go DET if you have Stick shift, and that they wont work with automatics. Is this True??

What Nissan car uses the SR20VE anyways (I am just coming to grips with my SR20DE) and would there be any other "signaficant" things other then $$$ that one should know before contemplating a VE swap?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: From reading

Icudie said:
From reading past posts I have gathered (and I am sure I might be wrong) that you can only go DET if you have Stick shift, and that they wont work with automatics. Is this True??
The DET (or a bolt on turbo kit) will work on an automatic G20, it's been done before. However, with out modifcation to the transmission I think you are limited to about 8-10psi of boost before the tranny will start to slip.

Originally posted by Icudie
What Nissan car uses the SR20VE anyways (I am just coming to grips with my SR20DE) and would there be any other "signaficant" things other then $$$ that one should know before contemplating a VE swap?
Certain models of the Primera house an SR20VE overseas. I don't know the exact model, but I remember at one point the only way to find the motor was in a Primera w/ the CVT transmission. Someone else could probably fill in the models here.
As for other costs, parts, etc... I'd suggest reading up on the SR20VE forum on www.sr20deforums.com forum. That's the best place I've found for SR20VE swap information. It'd take me longer to write everything out on here, than for you to just check it out yourself. There is almost everything you'd need to know on that forum regarding an SRxxVE swap.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There's the P12 Primera, the Wingroad, and the X-Trail SUV has an SR20VET (that's Neo-VVL AND turbo). That's all off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
In Japan there is an awd primera with the SR20VET engine in it that puts 276 BHP standard.A few of us in the UK have been trying to source an engine,but they are like rocking horse shit.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
and we all know how hard rocking horse shit is...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Not hard, rare. I love that phrase, and I've only ever heard British use it. Well, I do, now. ;)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
This is my opnion but I still think that even a well tuned DET will not be as reaibable as a VE. I know you think I'm stupid but Thats what I believe. I dont care how well tuned you DET the turbo puts a ton of stress on the engine.

Since when has there been AWD primera with a SR20VET in it Stock. I thought the only SR20VET was in the X-Trail (Nissan Xterra in the states). Maybe The Primera's got a swap because I bet that there isn't an AWD Primera with an SR20VET in it stock. Unless it's new for 02,03.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Not stupid, just under-informed in this case. The SR20DE can handle 400 WHP reliably; the DET is built with lower compression pistons and has bigger fuel injectors than a DE does. Reliability below 225 WHP (totally stock) is a moot point. If you're aiming for power above that, there are proven formulas and methods to get them dead-reliable and streetable right up to the 400 mark. I don't think there's anything streetable about a 400 WHP FWD car, but others seem to disagree; the bottom line is that the engine is in no danger.

I'm not aware of any VET outside of an Xtrail, either, but I don't pay much attention to JDM-only stuff. The P12 has a 200+ CHP version of the SR20VE, but I don't even think it's attached to an AWD system. Pretty sure that the only ATTESA Primeras were P10s, but don't quote me.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The vet primera in japan was a p11 and was made up until last year.Japan was the only country to get this car and its just not fair cos they always get the good stuff!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Forced induction will always give you a ton of juice. I think I would prefer the DET. Stress? The bottom end of the sr20 can handle 400hp! :nervous:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
So your telling the turbo doesn't put any stress on the engine. I know the DET can handle 400HP even more for that matter 500Hp but your saying a car with that much power doesn't have a ton of stress on the engine. I'm pretty sure thats a lot more stress then a 200 hp VE.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
GT UK said:
The vet primera in japan was a p11 and was made up until last year.Japan was the only country to get this car and its just not fair cos they always get the good stuff!!!!
I can only find SR20VETs in X-Trails (an SUV we never got in N.America, BTW. Only Asia and Europe got it). Maybe some weird racing P11 got it.

fatboyz921 said:
So your telling the turbo doesn't put any stress on the engine. I know the DET can handle 400HP even more for that matter 500Hp but your saying a car with that much power doesn't have a ton of stress on the engine. I'm pretty sure thats a lot more stress then a 200 hp VE.
There's plenty of stress, but I think his point was that the SR motors are more than sturdy enough to contain all that power. SR20VET is rated (and factory-limited) to 280hp as it is. I'm quite sure it can take much more POWER.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
CowboyDren said:
The P12 has a 200+ CHP version of the SR20VE, but I don't even think it's attached to an AWD system. Pretty sure that the only ATTESA Primeras were P10s, but don't quote me.
There were HNP10s and HNP11s too. There's another post about it here somewhere (search: AWD conversion). And I thought ATTESSA was only on the Skylines? I read in Motor Trend that the Infiniti QX4 has the ATTESSA right out of a GT-R though. Ooh....

:p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts