Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard people talk about both cams, but I don't understand the differnces between the S3 and the S4 cam from JWT. I won a 1992 p10. Which cam would give me more power? How much does each cam cost? Expericenes, good or bad. Anyone with info please post.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I've had the S3's for well over a year now and I love them to pieces!

The S3's are more civil. While they still have a lope in the idle it's very subtle and not very noticable. Sounds kind of like you need a tuneup. They give a good topend increase and you'll lose a little low/mid torque.

The S4's are tuned for more topend power. You'll lost a bit more low/mid power than the S3's but gain quite a bit more at the top. The idle is really shitty and very noticable. These cams are also quite livable just a little rude. ;)

The idle and cold start can be improved with the JWT ECU. But you by no means NEED the ECU to get good gains from the cams.

·
Registered
22 Posts
G-Forces said:

The idle and cold start can be improved with the JWT ECU. But you by no means NEED the ECU to get good gains from the cams.
Really? Wow. First time I've heard that. Have you not got the ECU? If they're okay without it then it almost makes me want to consider getting some out from the states... Still, with our exchange rate and freight it's still a tad steep... :(

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
jasestu said:

Really? Wow. First time I've heard that. Have you not got the ECU? If they're okay without it then it almost makes me want to consider getting some out from the states... Still, with our exchange rate and freight it's still a tad steep... :(
Yup, had them in for over a year and half now, no ECU. Runs fine. Granted it would run better with the ECU but you can get away without it.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Another thing.. I thought it was suggested that you run the JWT valve springs and retainers with the S4's, but do not need them.
The s4's have a valve lift of .465" (both intake and exhuast) and duration of 264 (both intake and exhuast) the S3's are .445" (both intake and exhuast) and 260 degrees (both intake and exhuast) All the cams have a lobe centerline of 111 degrees intake and 117 degrees on the exhuast (measured in crankshaft degrees for these) and the lobe separation angle is 114 degrees (measured in camshaft degrees)
These figures are from the cam shootout SCC did in the June 2000 issue.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
JustinP10 said:
Another thing.. I thought it was suggested that you run the JWT valve springs and retainers with the S4's, but do not need them.
I'd like to get these even though I only have S3's. I probably won't get JWT springs. I'd probably go with JUN since they are cheaper. I just want that little extra security when I get the JWT ECU with that sweet 7700rpm redline. :D

The s4's have a valve lift of .465" (both intake and exhuast) and duration of 264 (both intake and exhuast) the S3's are .445" (both intake and exhuast) and 260 degrees (both intake and exhuast) All the cams have a lobe centerline of 111 degrees intake and 117 degrees on the exhuast (measured in crankshaft degrees for these) and the lobe separation angle is 114 degrees (measured in camshaft degrees)
These figures are from the cam shootout SCC did in the June 2000 issue.
:surprised :surprised Did you memorize that?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
G-Forces said:
I'd like to get these even though I only have S3's. I probably won't get JWT springs. I'd probably go with JUN since they are cheaper. I just want that little extra security when I get the JWT ECU with that sweet 7700rpm redline. :D

:surprised :surprised Did you memorize that?
The Jun cams are cool too.. I'm really considering a big set of cams instead of going turbo.. i know there's really no comparison... but i think if i were to go with a set of C2's, or maybe a big Jun cam and get the springs and retainers, it'd tide me over for quite a while.

As for the numbers, I just happened to have that copy of SCC here on my desk hehehe =) I have almost 50 copies of SCC right here next to me on my bookshelf and i've been missing some too ever since i moved. You know, i really should get a subscription, it would save me a TON of money :)

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
So if you get the JWT ecu tuned to s4 cams, and you have s4 cams, will the idle be corrected and will it run beter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts