Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a pic of my old one but it looked almost the same..probably more worn down on the top contact.

And the one that went on in it's place...

It idles smoother now. I haven't taken it for a drive yet. I bet the MPG will improve with that too :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Mark,

Are those contact terminals worn away (scraped) or burned away? They almost look scraped which would lead me to think the distributor shaft to body clearance is worn (creating wobble).

By the way, your car will easily pick up another 10 horsepower. Your new cap is from Italy.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jjacob said:
Mark,

Are those contact terminals worn away (scraped) or burned away? They almost look scraped which would lead me to think the distributor shaft to body clearance is worn (creating wobble).
That's not mine, but mine looked the same. I also found another pic of one in the same condition. It's always the same contacts.

The shaft is solid, it has no wobble.

jjacob said:
By the way, your car will easily pick up another 10 horsepower. Your new cap is from Italy.
:LOL:

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is weird, they are corroded away. It might be something to do with the orientation and the vent in the cap ??

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
markbuts3 said:
It is weird, they are corroded away. It might be something to do with the orientation and the vent in the cap ??
I think it must have something to do with the voltage required to fire the plug. I wonder if those two plugs have longer or shorter plug wire leads? Could those two plugs have developed a larger gap? It has to be something that would effect the discharge intensity at those two terminals.
Maybe this is an indication of a need for new plug wires, or plugs?
Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's plugs 1+3, the new cap is from my old car, I fitted it just before the engine gave up. The cap I took off the old car was the same. So that's 4 caps on 4 different cars that I know of that has worn down those two contacts.

It's gotta be down to design....

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I've never had mine off ........... (Outta sight outta mind) ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
will dis cause no spark goin to the plug wire. if so that means i have to be change the cap plus the rotor.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually after looking at newer caps of the same design, they aren't corroded much, just surface like the other contacts. They are designed with the contacts in the plastic on that side, they are still the same distance from the central contact.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any surface corrosion will increase the resistance and affect spark strength. It would have to be very bad to stop sparks all together.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I'm a bright spark ;)

Or so ppl keep tellin' me :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts