Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My 2000 Infiniti G20T with 180K miles and a manual transmission stopped shifting into gear.
I was driving it, turned a corner, went from 1st to 2nd but it wouldn't let me put it in second.
Eventually, it went into second and i was only a quarter-mile from home. After trying to get it into gear a few more times while sitting idle it wont go into any gear at all.
I can turn the car off, put it into gear, then turn it on and drive it in that gear. . i can also rev match and get it in gear without the clutch and still drive no problem.
So I'm wondering if this means my clutch is bad? Maybe there is a sensor? or fluid ? or maybe its just a burnt-out clutch?

Any suggestions or advice on troubleshooting this would be awesome, I really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Could be a blown out or leaking slave cylinder, cluster master or you popped a spring in the clutch.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
no matter what the transmission has to come off. Time to get your hands dirty. I had the same issue and I had a cracked TOB and broken friction plate (spring housing cracked). No clue which came first but both needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hands down popped a spring. Had this happen to many times with the key value clutch and early ACT discs, and JWT since they used Exedy parts.
Same. When its sudden like that, its almost always a popped spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for quick response !!!
I was hoping I wouldn't have to take this apart as iv never done it before. Any good guides on how to do this? Any estimation on time required?
Anybody looking to buy an infinity g20t, LOL (slightly joking).

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Find yourself a copy of the service manual. I can't remember where to get one, but they are out there in PDF format. If you are mechanically inclined its not too hard. I did mine by myself over two days.

·
Administrator
5,827 Posts
Thanks for quick response !!!
I was hoping I wouldn't have to take this apart as iv never done it before. Any good guides on how to do this? Any estimation on time required?
Anybody looking to buy an infinity g20t, LOL (slightly joking).
Find yourself a copy of the service manual. I can't remember where to get one, but they are out there in PDF format. If you are mechanically inclined its not too hard. I did mine by myself over two days.
PM sent with link to FSM.
As the guys said, FSM has all the info. Once you do it once or twice, it gets pretty easy. I can have a trans out in under an hour or two (including beers).

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
My best advice, have a helper, at least 1 or maybe 2 jacks to help lift and lower the transmission (and obviously jack stands to keep the car up safely) and KEEP TRACK OF THE TRANSMISSION BOLTS. The sizes vary and if you mix them up its just a pain in the ass. Once my transmission was out, I put it bellhousing side down on cardboard and traced it. Then I added poked holes and put the bolts physically in the cardboard outline to keep track of their locations.

·
Administrator
5,827 Posts
My best advice, have a helper, at least 1 or maybe 2 jacks to help lift and lower the transmission (and obviously jack stands to keep the car up safely) and KEEP TRACK OF THE TRANSMISSION BOLTS. The sizes vary and if you mix them up its just a pain in the ass. Once my transmission was out, I put it bellhousing side down on cardboard and traced it. Then I added poked holes and put the bolts physically in the cardboard outline to keep track of their locations.
Dang thats a good idea. I just throw mine in a baggie, then again I put the rear crossmember bolts together and the mount to the trans i put the bolts back into those holes, so only ones left are the smaller ones to the engine. The skinny one is always on bottom, rest are spreadout.

I should start doing that.

·
Registered
20,736 Posts
You the real MVP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ya im not super mechanically inclined when it comes to the engine and tranny.. but iv rebuilt the whole front end of my FJ , and im good with electronics and wiring lol.
Im a bit nervous to attempt this to be fully honest. isnt the tranny sideways on this car cause of front-wheel drive? Does this add complications?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Dang thats a good idea. I just throw mine in a baggie, then again I put the rear crossmember bolts together and the mount to the trans i put the bolts back into those holes, so only ones left are the smaller ones to the engine. The skinny one is always on bottom, rest are spreadout.

I should start doing that.
With my P11, the radiator support was rusted so I didn't want to risk trying to get the crossmember out. So I had to do a lot of maneuvering and using wobble-bits and extensions to get the lower bolts out. I didn't want to risk getting the wrong bolt in and wasting time - the cardboard worked perfectly.

·
Administrator
5,827 Posts
You the real MVP.
For realsies haha.

Ya im not super mechanically inclined when it comes to the engine and tranny.. but iv rebuilt the whole front end of my FJ , and im good with electronics and wiring lol.
Im a bit nervous to attempt this to be fully honest. isnt the tranny sideways on this car cause of front-wheel drive? Does this add complications?
If you've done the FJ this will be fine. It's side ways but no it doesn't add any complications, just needs an extra jack and jack stand to support motor, FSM has great instructions but ultimately this is what you do:

1. Pull battery and tray out (to reveal trans mount, you can do this from under the car instead if you like) (3 bolts)
2. Remove cross member and drop it out (4 bolts on crossmember, 1 for front mount, 1 for rear mount on your p11)
3. Pull axles out (axle nuts on each, 3 bolts on passenger axle carrier bracket)
4. Pull starter out (might have to take intake piping out, depending on how big or small your arms are, 2 long bolts and 1 bolt under side for power, 1 signal connector)
5. Unhook shifter bits (1 small bolt and one nut underside of car connecting shifter to trans)
6. Unhook clutch cable from shift fork
7. Unbolt trans from motor (depending how many times its been off, should be about 10 bolts all around)
9. Unbolt trans motor mount from chassis (support trans and motor while doing this with separate jacks, 3 bolts)
10. Unplug sensors from transmission
11. Lower trans down and wiggle, it'll "pop" off the motor slightly towards the drivers side, a pry bar helps if needed/rusted
12. Have a buddy grab the shift cable bracket from top of trans and help guide it off trans and onto ground
13. Reverse this once you are ready to put it back in

Probably missing something but this is the gist of it haha.

With my P11, the radiator support was rusted so I didn't want to risk trying to get the crossmember out. So I had to do a lot of maneuvering and using wobble-bits and extensions to get the lower bolts out. I didn't want to risk getting the wrong bolt in and wasting time - the cardboard worked perfectly.
Ohhh that makes sense and is a solid idea, no rust here so the worst thing thats happened is I've had a thread get borked so one is helicoiled, that was a fun day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts