Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting performance cams. I' m very curious about reprograming ECU after putting cams such JWT and Tomei. My car is already equipped JWT ECU with modified MAF. Do I really need to reprogram ECU with cams? Also, does anyone know the performance shop which can do excellent job on G20s in IL? The shops that I know don't really know how to put camshaft and cam gears on G20s.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Green Primera said:
I'm thinking about getting performance cams. I' m very curious about reprograming ECU after putting cams such JWT and Tomei. My car is already equipped JWT ECU with modified MAF. Do I really need to reprogram ECU with cams?
Short answer, no. Long answer, depends on the cams.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You don't need to in order to run the cams, but it is definitely recommended for the maximum performance gain. Without the cam program your idle may fluctuate and the cam program will also add anywhere from 2-6 hp from what I've heard. The disadvantage is I heard JWT is extremely backlogged and the turn around is around 2 months! If you have an extra ECU you should definitely have it reprogrammed. As for the install, I don't know about around you, but up here in Wisconsin there is a shop that knows SR20s pretty well, heck the owner has an HKS powered Bluebird DET in his SE-R. If you want more info. on the shop pm me and we can talk.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Im running JWT S3 cams without the ECU...every thing runs great, pulls hard from 3000 rpm to redline. My idle doesnt fluctuate, but I do have some hesitation in the 1200-1500 rpm range....and I also have a slushbox :angry: and that may be part of the problem....

any other cams I cant speak of, like the S4's or C seires cams from JWT...with the C series im pretty positive you need the ECU tuned...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
1PhatG said:
You don't need to in order to run the cams, but it is definitely recommended for the maximum performance gain. Without the cam program your idle may fluctuate and the cam program will also add anywhere from 2-6 hp from what I've heard.
I don't mean to pick on you, but people say that all the time "for maximum performance gain you must use the ECU."

Well, IMHO for maximum performance gain, you should run C2 cams, valve springs, 300ZX pistons with Swain coatings, HS header with Swain coating, .......

My point is you can always do more. Again, I'm not picking on you, just using your post to make my point. I see this said all the time.

The ECU is not necessary. It will mainly smooth the idle out. It will add a few hp, but not $600 worth. Remapped ECUs are probably one of the most misunderstood mods. With today's modern sequential fuel injection, most manufacturers don't leave 15 hp on the table anymore. The ECU can add power, but it also can take care of a lot of other things, like smoothing out the idle, allowing removal of some emissions equipment on the earlier cars, keep a car that is overheating from getting thermal runaway, etc.

It's a valuable mod, but one that I think should come near the end of the mods unless you are installing a turbo or something else that does require the ECU to be modified.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
If they are mildly modded cams say C3 series as opposed to S3 or S4's or Jun's could you possibly just reset your factory ECU?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts