Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
springs are only part of your ride quality. im assuming you mean using it with stock shocks? then yes you will get bad ride quality. intrax to me are meant for looks and not handling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:evil:

whats going on?

IM new in this group,. and will add my 2 cents to this...

I currently dont own a G20.... but hopefully soon will have one...

I do on the other hand own a 1992 Nissan Stanza with Intrax springs...

due to the limitations of ths stock struts on Nissan Vehicles in particular...there isnt enough suspension travel to allow a drop, or stiffer spring combination for use with stock struts.:depressed

See, the G20 actually has an aftermarket compared to my Stanza.

so there is a Barrage of components you can get depending on the usage of your car.

Ground control coil overs are cool, because not only can you get adjustable height.... when you order the kits, you can select spring weight ratios, spring length (which are 8", 10" and 12")

this will affect your ability to lower your ride...but notheless it might help maintain your ride quality with a slight drop to it...

I live in Pot hole central... New York City... stock Nissan struts and Intrax springs last me anywhere from 8 months to a year...

Monroe...from my experinece....suck!. had them in...they blew up in 2 days... changed them for new ones (warranty) they blew on me again!...:-/

I know KYB makes a lot of excellent components for all types of cars... the AGX/Groundcontrol combo would be most excellent, because you can adjust the dampening, and the height of your car...

Tein coilovers are wonderful...I have seen them on a Toyota Supra.. but I dunno if I would be able to get them for a G20 wheni get one...

but that my 2 cents... i will refrain from lashing out...:lol

well, until i get my own G20, and have my own headaches!..lol

keep up the good work guys... Im glad I found this group.

·
Registered
146 Posts
From what I have heard the problem with intrax is that the drop is to low and the spring rate is to soft so you end up on your bumpstops the whole time your driving.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Wel Here I go again.

I had Intrax with AGX adjustables. Looks were a 10. Ride was a 2.
That is is on any settings with the AGX's !!!

If you can hold out save the extra money and get Ground Controls.

If your are rich or win the lottery get Teins.

If you like in Utah Flats with all flat road and no speed bumps , pothole or pebbles around get Intrax ...

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
If you use the search feature of the forum you'll find previous discussions on this exact same topic.

Oh, BTW.... YES!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
If you are not seeking a 'dropped' ride and care more about ride quality then it might be better to get some Eibach (if you can find them for the P10) or some H&R or whatever. Nothing more than about a 1.2" drop and pair them with some nice AGX shocks and I think you'd have a nice street ride. Better performance but still resonably comforable.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah, they look good but they're way too bouncy. My P10 came with two in the back and stock springs in the front. I installed Intrax springs in the front last Wednesday. They make the car look really nice, but the front shocks are blown now so it's very bouncy. I think I messed up the right shock because I was turning the whole shaft of the shock and not only the bolt on top. It doesn't bottom out much, but the steering is slow to respond. Probably because of the bad shocks. :-\

On a positive note, I was able to take mountain curves at a much faster speed with the lower center of gravity. I drive through the mountains often and now noticed that the tires take longer before they start to lose grip. I even buried the needle on one of the straightaways, (pics in sig). ;) I just have to fix the bounce in the front. I'll probably throw in some KYB's or something to get rid of the bounce. I don't mind a rough ride but I can't stand the bouncyness. Some better shocks will get rid of the bouncyness right??

Besides the G20 group, people in the RX7 club dislike the Intrax springs also. But lowering an RX7 with intrax changes the camber dramtiacally which doesn't seen to be as much a problem in the G20. Still, the spring rate makes the Intrax bouncy. But then one guy I've talked to in a BMW club says the Intrax springs are one of the best brands for 3 series Bimmers. :lick:

I have pictures of front strut assembly removal. I'll put them in my album later today. Spring compressing was a bitch!! :p

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Re: so..

Chris said:
dare I ask what you used to compress the springs? ...so many home grown methods are really dangerous!
Huh? I used some vise grips and hanger wire and turned it a bunch of times...

haha j/k, I used a spring compressor, duh. :p

Why would I not? They have several different kinds of loaner spring compressors at Autozone. You just pay to get the compressor ($40-$50) but they return your money when you return the compressor. They have lots of other loaner tools also. I only discovered that over the weekend.

I said spring compressing was a bitch because it takes forever to compress the spring enough. One side at a time and only a few turns at a time. But it was my first time taking apart a suspension so I didn't know what to expect. I wish they made a Haynes Manuals for these cars in the U.S. :*(

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just installed Intrax springs with my stock rim and shock setup. It's not THAT bad. It's bad, and bouncy, but I THINK it's tolerable considering I'm riding on stock shocks.

I live in Belleville (next to newark, nj)...we've got TONS of pot holes around here. I've hit a few accidentally and it just hit it hard. I didn't fly off the road or lose control of the back end. I only paid $115 for the spring set so I don't think I can really complain.

My question is - what can I expect when I drop in KYB AGXs in my G? Will it reduce the bouncyness and just make it a hard ride? (because I think that's what i want).

Thanks

[Oh yeah - looks wise it's a 10...ride quality would prob be a 5 on stock shocks.]

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I had Intrax and KYB AGX ... stlill bouncy !!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oh well. It's not like it hurts at all to get the KYBs anyway. If anything it'll just give me more potential for a great set of coilovers like the pros use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a P11 (1999 to be exact) and i've Intrax with KYB AGX's and 17 inch rims with 215-40 tires on it. The ride is a bit too bumpy for my taste. But i have no money right now so i can't upgrade to anything else. And i've noticed the guys hype up things too much here (nothing against everyone), but i would personally wanna drive a G with Tien's in em and then i would see if they would be worth my money. But the intrax give you the best look no doubt.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Have anyone of you guys had Intrax with Motivational koni's on a P10 cause I want to get some of the Koni's and I have GC/AGX on my P10 now but I dont like the ride cause, I should have gotten 8 inch coils instead of 7 at least that wouldve helped a little and I think my spring rate on the GC's are too stiff making the ride even worse, it was pretty bad I had 17's before but I put my stock 14s back on to get a little softer ride, if any of you guys have any experience with Motivational koni's with Intrax or any other springs please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
After buying the Intrax I wouldn't recommend them. Don't get me wrong - I paid $100 and I've got a SWEET lookin G now ;) . But I'm not sure if it's worth it. The other day my mom asked me to borrow my car (cringe) and I just couldn't let her take it because of the harse ride...She'd have to be extra careful and my mom isn't really all there when it comes to driving.

The ride with the intrax has two options. Extremely bouncy, or extremely stiff. There's no happy medium with them, unfortunately.

I thought Ground Controls were highly recommended? What's up with yours?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well I got 7 inch coils and I think I got a bad spring rate cause for one its noisy and I have my AGX's set on 2 so it should be a little soft but its still very stiff and another thing is my car doesnt even lower that much even when I lower the GC's all the way on the last thread it doesnt make a difference, its suppose to drop it 3 to 4 inches but it barely drops it maybe 2 if that so im thinking about getting the Motivational Koni's in front and back and try those out with my GC's cause since the Koni's are shortened struts they give alot more room for travel so I can lower it without having to compromise ride or handling but there $900 for the set, not exactly cheap, I paid that much for my GC/AGX setup, id love to buy me Canovers but those are $3300, oh well I guess im gonna have to stick with this if you guys are saying that the intrax is too bouncy, thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts