Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it is less than about 20 degrees (F) out, my engine does not maintain operating temp at speeds greater than about 60mph. If I drive 60 or less the needle is right in the middle (and more importantly I have heat haha) The faster I go the colder it goes, but only to a point. It never drops to where the needle sits when you first start it, but right above it. Burrr It does perfectly otherwise, which is why I did not run to the store to buy a new t-stat. I'm not sure its faulty. Does anybody else have this problem? Is it possible that my t-stat is partially malfunctioning? I've never noticed this in any other car I've had, including my '95, but to be honest, I don't recall driving it fast when its this cold out.

School buses have bras over the front in the winter months to prevent airflow (because the cooling system is too efficient when it is this cold out) so could this be the case for me? System is simply too efficient? I'm really not looking forward to replacing the t-stat because it usually makes a mess and I have no garage to work in....but it would make a good excuse for flushing the cooling system...

Finally, am I correct in assuming the car is running in open loop when it is this cold? I presume that not only am I freezing, but I am throwing extra $$$ out the tailpipe?

Thanks all

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
JAYGOTBOOST said:
^^ I might say temp sensor going bad ....

I don't think so as the t-stat is a purely mechanical device and has no imput to function just a wax that melt at a certain temperature...maybe I didn't make it clear thou...the engine *is* running cold as my heat is severely lacking.

-Thanks for the imput-

*Edit* I don't speelll so good

·
Registered
973 Posts
Same exact problem. Keep forgetting to post about it.

So bump.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Same thing happens with me when it's cold outside. Think about it, the heat runs off from the coolant, which goes through the radiator. When the air is really cold, and you are going 65mph on the highway, the coolant in the radiator cools off much quicker than it would say, a 45 degree day. I typically see running temps of 145-160 fahrenheit when it is really cold outside, where normal operating temps are between 185-210 fahrenheit. My suggestion would be to actually turn the heat down, and try and draft another car, that way you aren't getting quite as much air going to the radiator.

That, or your t-stat could be stuck open.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It is either a thermostat stuck open or a low coolant level (air in system). I would replace the thermostat (easy and cheap) and bleed the system.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Try putting cardboard in front of the radiator. That will help until you feel like changing out the thermostat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
cardboards great for deisles ie i work on them for for gasoline there a bit tempermental with temperature changes whereas deisles run cold while idleing but warm up as driven. i would recomend putting in a new thermostat and backflushing the heater core.

·
Registered
653 Posts
dude nothing is wrong it's just cold outside and pretty much all cars do this. the reason is that you don't get any hot air underneath the hood when going down the freeway. the wind blows all the hot air that the heater usually uses for heat, so don't worry about it. my car does the same thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys all. I think I'll just leave it as is, and maybe replace it in the spring when I flush the cooling system (as I"m sure its overdue P/O didn't believe in maintaince.. ) I don't drive on the interstate much anyway.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
foreverzero89 said:
dude nothing is wrong it's just cold outside and pretty much all cars do this. the reason is that you don't get any hot air underneath the hood when going down the freeway. the wind blows all the hot air that the heater usually uses for heat, so don't worry about it. my car does the same thing.
No this is not correct. Even at 0 F an engine will reach operating temperature, even driven on the highway. I have driven my car in sub-zero temperatures on the highway and it always reaches normal operating temperature.

If the engine will not reach temperature you either have the wrong thermostat installed (too low a temp) or the thermostat has stuck open.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I ran for years with a stuck open t-stat in my NX. I just used some cardboard in front of the rad during the spring and fall (it wasn't a winter driven car) and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hamzer11 said:
I had the same problem. New thermostat and the problem is long gone.
+1

I guess you could leave it, but your engine will take a LONG time to get to its proper operating temperature, as coolant will be free-flowing through your engine while it's still cold.

It's a very inexpensive part, so might as well replace it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
foreverzero89 said:
where is the t-stat?
Below the distributor...looks very easy to get to...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A cold running engine will use more fuel also. So not fixing the thermostat (less than $10) will cost you a lot more money in fuel over time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm revisiting this thread because I'm fed up with this lack of heat/lack of engine temperature. I have no heat/engine temperature at highway speeds, only at idle and up. If I let the car heat up at idle, take it on the highway, engine temp will drop down to 1/4 of the way up or less. And this only seems to happen when its 40 degrees F and below, its not a big deal when its warmer, it works fine.

I did my second thermostat this year, as this is such a classic thermostat example. I did a thermostat last year, it didn't help. I also sealed the thermostat housing off with Volkswagen gasket maker. I doubt its a 2nd bad thermostat, but I did get it from Autozone... anything is possible.

Ok, no other car that I've ever owned including my NX has ever had lack of heat on the highway. It will drop off quite a bit, but barely above "C" - there is something wrong.

Last year, I remember seeing a post with a heater core that has a flap in it - like a control flap or something.

I'm thinking it also might be a water pump and/or heater core. All input is welcome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts