Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my car in to be serviced 2000 G20 AT and I noticed the 2002 G20 has the white speedometer. It looks SAWEEEEET! Will it fit the 2000? I asked the guy at the dealership and he didn't know even though it is his job to know, but whatever. They wanted 300+ bucks for the whole assembly, I just want the speedometer cover. Any help?

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
update

Infiniti doesn't sell just the white cover plate.. you'd have to get the whole thing...

...it would probably work but not 100% sure

..it is NOT the Infiniti tech's job to know if parts are interchangeable between different years like that...

You'd be better off getting aftermarket white face plate covers

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Re: update

Chris said:
..it is NOT the Infiniti tech's job to know if parts are interchangeable between different years like that...
Correct.

It's their job to not know anything. :confused:

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
o.k. smart a$$

....ANY Infiniti Master Tech can tell you that it is their job to diagnose and correct problems authorized by the customer...

...they tell the parts guy what part they need for what car... although they WILL know for sure about many parts that work between the years because of frequent replacements made and seeing the same exact part (or parts) going into different year cars, it is NOT in their job description or anything like that to know 100% for sure if that type of crossover would work. It isn't the type of thing that is changed frequently.

... I am NOT a mechanic, nor do I ever pretend to be one.. and I do not work on my own G20... but I've observed enough work being done on my car to realize just how complex things may seem and the Infiniti mechanic who knows his stuff makes it look like it is the easiest thing in the world....

...now if you are talking about a Service writer... that is a different story.. many of them THINK they know everything and know nothing because they didn't go to school for mechanics much less have any mechanical know-how because they just need to be able to deal with customers... many a service writer makes false statements or promises that the 'tech' has to explain correctly so that the customer's don't feel like they are getting ripped off!

...of course there are always some tech's at any Infiniti dealership that shouldn't be there because they just aren't that great of mechanics.. BUT that happens in any industry..

...so you get to know which mechanics know what they are doing and ask specifically for one of them to work on your car so you know for sure it will be done right the first time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Infiniti Master Tech? That's a laugh...

Those guys may know a bit about cars, but nothing the average person couldn't learn how to do. All you have to do is pass a certification test and your off and running!

After a while these 'techs' may start to remember how to do stuff (called routine these days) and know what they are talking about. But these guys read out of a damn book most of the time to see what to do, much like you or I could do.

Either way, unless you are getting work done under warranty so that you aren't paying for it, do it yourself or have a good independent shop do it for you. Save yourself time, hassle, and most importantly, money.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
NOT ALWAYS

...many master tech's are still 'old school' 10+ years experience and they went to school to learn how to be a proper mechanic... sure, they already tinkered while they were in high school and had that mechanical know-how to do things... BUT I happen to know about one school out in Wyoming that is a pretty tough program..

...older cars were easier to work on... Heck, I just about took apart my Merkur Xr4Ti and put it back together -- older simpler technology that anyone someone mechanically minded could work on....

...but these days you really need the correct diagnostic equipment and tools for many jobs... and a lift... can it be done without these things, on many things, yes.. BUT it would take you longer and be a big pain...

...some independant shops know what they are doing because they are the ones who saw the potential of making the money on their own (the good mechanics)... BUT I can tell you that the dealer is often fixing what an independant f*#@ed up because some of the independants are much worse than going to the dealer..

YES< there are some piss poor mechanics... some of them might even be deemed master techs... BUT I can also assure you that if you go to Infiniti with the attitude that all the tech's know nothing and are good for nothing, you will get charged the most possible and have the mimimum done..

...if, however, you go in with an attitude that you tried it yourself and couldn't figure it out... or that you know they can do it quicker (or whatever)... but want to know how they do it.. you often get a much better response and you might even get some of the labor free or some advise free...

...if it is so easy to 'do it yourself', then go ahead and do it and more power to you! ...but why not become a mechanic if you are so knowledgeable... Infiniti and other dealers are always interested in 'real' techs/mechanics that know what they are doing... and if you actually have a proven track record and/or schooling, you will do that much better.. Skillfull tech's CAN make more money than most college degreed or master degreed individuals.. (at least that is the case here in the Chicagoland area)

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
and BTW

...several knowledgeable Infiniti Master techs do side work and will charge less than the dealer.. the reason? they can make more YET charge less than the dealer charges because they don't have the overhead that a dealer has.. BUT they typically won't do work that involves a lift because they cannot legally work on a 'side job' at work.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I know that some dealer mechanics know what they are doing, but I simply have not had the pleasure of finding one that does. Reason being is that most people that know what they are doing will indeed open their own shop up. I have had NOTHING but NEGATIVE experiences with Acura and Infiniti dealers.

I once paid $80 for diagnosis of two codes from my old Acura Legend, one ECU and the other from the tranny ECU. Not only did I have to SHOW them where the tranny ECU was, they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I got the codes myself from a Haynes manual, diagnosed the problem, bought the part, and swapped it out in a matter of an hour. On top of that, I still had to pay the dealer the $80, what a crock of shit!

Those guys that work at Infiniti and such dealers may get payed well, but not nearly what they could make owning their own business. The shop guy I use has 20+ years of experience with Japanese cars and has had his own shop for 15. He charges me $20 less an hour and only 2/3 of the FSM work time.

I am not saying that you will never get quality service from a dealer, but finding one isn't that easy, nor cheap.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I goto Orlando Infiniti becuase I dont have a garage nor obviously a lift at the apartments I live at...

But one guy working on my ride has been there for over 10 years and has 25 years experience working on cars...and knows what hes doing.

Many other guys that work on my car when im out there in the service bay know what they are doing and actually know all the aftermarket stuff for their cars, and know what aftermarket stuff is on my car too.

The mechanics are ok with you watching the whole time while they do the work...I know many places wouldnt like you doing this.

I have had pretty good experiences with them for the most part.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I don't even bother with the dealership. They charge you just to hook up some diagnostic thing to your car that gives then codes to tell them exactly what's wrong then act like they're the ones that actually did some work on it. :-\

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
LOL

Per what I said before -- right from a 10 yr INfiniti master tech.. It will probably work BUT you'd have to simply try it to see... it hasn't been done at that dealership... perhaps another one has and knows for sure.. the only way to know for sure is to try it.. The answer I got when I asked was, eye balling looks like it should work BUT since he or others in that shop hasn't tried it (yet), they can't gaurantee it...

...so if you try it and it works.. PLEASE let us know!!!

...maybe you can find out what the return policy is just-in-case it doesn't work

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Trag said:
so is it interchangable or are we going to keep talking about what their jobs are???
Good Point, maybe you can be the first to find out for us...THAT would be cool, no mater what the Master Mechanic says....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
its a matter of taking a look of the back and seeing if the plugs match up but i noticed we have digital mileage will this reset or no maybe everything is kept in the computer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trag said:
its a matter of taking a look of the back and seeing if the plugs match up but i noticed we have digital mileage will this reset or no maybe everything is kept in the computer

The guy at the dealership said that it has to be reprogrammed to your current mileage so once you order it, and it comes in, you have to wait until it is programmed...2 days ????

Does anyone know of an aftermarket co that may carry just white covers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts