Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to be really into modifying, auto cross, just hangin out with the guys talking cars. But of late I am getting sick of it all. It doesn't really interest me anymore. I don't really care if my car is fast or looks good. I'm sick of doing my own oil changes, belt changes, brakes, etc. I think it's time to just pic up a little econo box that I can throw some 87 octane in and bring to jiffy lube for oil changes. Anyway maybe it's time to get rid of the G? Anyone else ever feel this way? Any oppinions on a good econo box? I'm thinking B15 1.8l. Trying to find something where I can sell my G and either break even or only have to spend a few bucks. I really want something that has a timing chain. I don't want to be bothered with getting timing belts replaced. Thoughts and oppinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
just chill for a while...
I can assure you in 90% of cases like this you will end up wishing you hadn't sold your car...
We all get a lil burned out, but when you quit messing w/your car and you take it for a break job and see a 16 year old kid you might think "hmm I could have saved $$$, did it myself w/better products, and done it right"

I bet that keeping a turbo does get taxing, but you will hate having to floor it for 15 seconds to get to highway speed..

I dont know dude, but I would not sell the car untill your positive you just hate working on a cool car....

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
TRUST ME!!!! just wait it out... I was getting a bit burnt out even when i had my GTI, and after i sold it i got my 240... it was a blast... but after getting so many tickets with it (most not my fault) i lost my liscense and i was SOOO bored of driving when at one point i found it the most enjoyable thing ever... now a year later I want something fun but still reliable and cheap to maintain... I've been looking at all sorts of cars, and so far i'm just sticking with the G20... I've really had my eye on either a 4 door SI or 4 Door GTI... just something i can take to the dealership and have them do the work, and stuff like that...

·
Registered
595 Posts
robkris8079 said:
I use to be really into modifying, auto cross, just hangin out with the guys talking cars. But of late I am getting sick of it all. It doesn't really interest me anymore. I don't really care if my car is fast or looks good. I'm sick of doing my own oil changes, belt changes, brakes, etc. I think it's time to just pic up a little econo box that I can throw some 87 octane in and bring to jiffy lube for oil changes. Anyway maybe it's time to get rid of the G? Anyone else ever feel this way? Any oppinions on a good econo box? I'm thinking B15 1.8l. Trying to find something where I can sell my G and either break even or only have to spend a few bucks. I really want something that has a timing chain. I don't want to be bothered with getting timing belts replaced. Thoughts and oppinions are greatly appreciated!
Im totally with you. I had an 02 G20. Did all the basic bolt-ons with very little gains to show for it.

I did everything to the suspension...various spring/shock combos, f&r stillen stb, sway bars, etc...but I began to hate the ride.

Switched over to the G35 Coupe and it's been pretty much stock. I'm only 26 but I feel like I'm too old to mod my car. In fact, I'm beggining to dislike my Coupe because of the stiffer ride, lack of space, various problems (brakes, squeaks, etc) and gas mileage.

Now I just want a car with good gas mileage that reliable, good space, comfortable ride, and decent passing speed. Besides the power, a stock G20 may be a good fit for me and you.

But one thing I will always do is maintain the car myself when possible. I can't stand the thought of Jiffy Lube doing my oil changes. As weird as it sounds, I actually get more excitement from changing my own oil, flushing the transmission, cleaning the car than I do installing an intake, exhaust or lowering my car.

Oh, and I'd do some research on the b15's. From what I see on b15sentra.net, they are not that reliable (but that may apply only to the qr25's)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Are you having car problems? I only think about getting rid of my G when there is a problem with her..

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
brian_g20 said:
Now I just want a car with good gas mileage that reliable, good space, comfortable ride, and decent passing speed. Besides the power, a stock G20 may be a good fit for me and you.

But one thing I will always do is maintain the car myself when possible. I can't stand the thought of Jiffy Lube doing my oil changes. As weird as it sounds, I actually get more excitement from changing my own oil, flushing the transmission, cleaning the car than I do installing an intake, exhaust or lowering my car.
these were pretty much my thoughts exactly...a stock p10/p11 sounds right up your alley. Doing the maintenance yourself is a nice $$ savings and they usually aren't back breaking projects! :teeth:

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
well think hard about what you want but i would never trust a jiffy lube to do an oil change. I men how much do you drive. its only every 3k that it is needed. But hey i have replaced quite a few timeing chains on the qg18de do to stretch cuaseing no spark. Not to say it is a bad engine or car. I actually as a nissan tech love to work on the 1.8 sentras. any part that is major that has fail was defective from the begining and after i fix them i feel the car is more reliable than the one that did not have the failure.
but you now i feel you on the not driveing fast. Curentlly i drive my turbo p10 and it has exelent power but i dont even use it. Once in a blue moon i step on it a bit. but i drive very safe now days.
the g20 is an exeptional car though when you keep it up to date. Say my car has 140k and i have origanal axels takeing 300+ hp Im lso on origanal starter. I had a isue with the starter and i took it apart nd cleaned it up a bit and now it is just as good as new.
But i feel you on the b15. It is a nice little car. I love them so i take care of them

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
you'll be back... once u love cars, normally u always will. Same goes for whenu jump into being a family guy, when u get it all under control, you tend to wanna find ur old hobbies again. Good Luck my friend!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm at a similar point right now. Do I get rid of my P11 to study somewhere else, or do I keep it and study where I live? It boils down to what I wanna study really, cause education has to be the main priority. But still..with little money to spare and a kinda busy life as a student, I have lost a little interest in my car...feels like I cant do anything to her now. But it just started snowing right now, so I'll keep her in the garage over winter, and try to spare some money to fix some minor issues here and there (the biggest one would be a little rust up front. no biggie though), and I'll see if the emotions return as springtime rolls in. I think they will, as there is few things that can compare to the feeling of..just..you know..a nice sunny day, and open dry road, some cool music and a medium-heavy right foot. Sunglasses, cruising around...ahhh. Nirvana :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
robkris8079 said:
I use to be really into modifying, auto cross, just hangin out with the guys talking cars. But of late I am getting sick of it all. It doesn't really interest me anymore. I don't really care if my car is fast or looks good. I'm sick of doing my own oil changes, belt changes, brakes, etc. I think it's time to just pic up a little econo box that I can throw some 87 octane in and bring to jiffy lube for oil changes. Anyway maybe it's time to get rid of the G?
I had the same thing happen.. except I got bored with working/racing my mustang.. and I got the G as an econobox.. It's going to have a nice system and maybe a few cosmetic enhancements but it is going stick with keeping the engine stock other external parts like exhaust, WAI, pulleys.. ETC. The engine itself is staying stock..

My infiniti is everything my mustang is not.. it is quiet, reliable, good low speed handling, and unfortunatley slow.. but also not nearly as much of a cop magnet as my Red GT.. hehehehe..

I would say fuel efficient too.. but my mustang gets 20mpg and my Infiniti 24 so that isn't even enough to really mention.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
p10det said:
well think hard about what you want but i would never trust a jiffy lube to do an oil change.
WERD! They crossthreaded the drain plug on my mustang when the previous owner took it to them.. stupid high school kids don't care they cross threaded it.. so I have had a small leak for the 8 years I have had the car... :dead:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, I'll be the dissenting voice.

People change, dude. Interests come and go, priorities shift, all of a sudden those hundreds of dollars you set aside for a painted lip and wing seem like it would be better spent on a new camera or a weekend in New York. Nothing wrong with that -- heck, you probably don't do the same things you did five years ago.

But if you really want a taste of what driving a 'normal' car would be like, toss them stock springs back on there for a few weeks. It should give you an idea of what the other 97% of the population drives.

I'd say don't sell the car -- you know this vehicle inside and out, you know its strong points and its little quirks, and if you sell this one and pick up a used car (or heck -- even a new car) you run the risk of getting stuck with problems. Or, like everyone else is saying, maybe you'll want to get back in the game.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To reply to Koojo no I don't have any problems. It's running like a champ. I mean everyone once in awhile I still get the wierd problem where the gas is unresponsive but it's so far and few between. Still haven't been able to pin point that. And only one code for the rear O2.

BTW I drive about 100 miles a day. That is every day of the week including weekends. And no way do I change my oil every 3k. That is just way too much. I would be changing it once a month?!? I try and go every 5k or so. Some times I stretch it but usually I'm pretty good.

I do know my car well. It's been wonderful to me. No significant problems, and the only ones I have had have all had to do with the turbo install and nothing else.

I guess I should keep it. I do still enjoy driving it but something about $20 oil changes where I don't get my hands dirty and filling up on a tank of 87 for $30 is appealling to me. I'm getting 27mpg right now but use to get 30+. Yes even with the turbo. I do all highway driving. Nothing but! I'm still undecided. Thanks for all your input though.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
robkris8079 said:
I guess I should keep it. I do still enjoy driving it but something about $20 oil changes where I don't get my hands dirty and filling up on a tank of 87 for $30 is appealling to me.
Geez dude.. How much are you paying for gas right now.. I fill my mustang up with 93 octane for about $30..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts