Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 Sports M/T. After how many miles should I change the drive belts? I read some posts on this forum saying the passenger side wheel well cover needs to be removed during belt change. Is that necessary? It seems like I can access everything from top. Also I should loosen the adjusting lock bolts first before the adjusting bolts. Is that correct? Are the only 4 bolts (see attached pic) I need to loosen in order to change the belts?

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
There are about 4 "How To" threads on how to do it. It's not too bad of a job, a little tight in some areas. I'm not sure on the change intervals though 15-30K miles maybe.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
oem belt should easily last 60k. I have 211k on my car and only changed once. Don't fool yourself. You can not do it from the top. Jack the car up and take the tire and gaurd off.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
They should be changed if one snaps, they start to dry crack, or if the grooves start to wear off....or if they start to uncontrollably squeel. That's about it. I wouldn't go by a mileage interval, that's a waste of money.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Those are the only four bolts you need to mess with, however, you need to remove the pass side wheel well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are the only four bolts you need to mess with, however, you need to remove the pass side wheel well.
By removing the wheel well cover, what access do I gain? Is it for getting to the bolts or the belts? I am just a little confused.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The only way you would need to remove the wheel and splash shield is if you have trouble getting the belt around the crank pulley. Otherwise everything is easily done from the top, just lower the alternator and throw on the new belt.

I wouldn't bother changing it unless there is some dry cracks or it is making noise and squealing on start up. Otherwise you shouldn't have to worry about it.

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
good links. Do it from the bottom. If the guy above says he can do it all from the top and not remove the gaurd then kudos to him. Save yourself the headache and do it the way everyone suggests.

·
Custom title !!!!!yay
2,458 Posts
i just had mine changed, seems like the PS belt squeaks when i turn only right after a cold start and only once or twice, before i start reallu moving, is it over tight or too loose, oem nissan part, fresh fluid.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
did you run the pump dry for awhile? What fluid did you put in there? My p10 does the same thing. It was run dry for a long time though.

·
De La Code
6,955 Posts
i just had mine changed, seems like the PS belt squeaks when i turn only right after a cold start and only once or twice, before i start reallu moving, is it over tight or too loose, oem nissan part, fresh fluid.
Probably loose. Your supposed to tighten them a few days after install, because they break in and stretch. Mine did the same thing, and I just had to tighten them again.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Definately if you didn't retighten that is what you need to do. I've never done a belt job where that wasn't necassary.

·
Custom title !!!!!yay
2,458 Posts
it wasnt run on empty.called the mechanic, going back there on saturday....thanks guys,
btw nice name change Cody!!got me confused there for a sec.

·
De La Code
6,955 Posts
it wasnt run on empty.called the mechanic, going back there on saturday....thanks guys,
btw nice name change Cody!!got me confused there for a sec.
Oh yeah its still in my sig. If you have some tools, small hands, and a write up on here, you can do it yourself. Should take like 20-30 min to do it, but if your mechanic's gonna do it for free then just have him do it..

·
Custom title !!!!!yay
2,458 Posts
yeah i just gave him a $hIT load of money over the weekend, and im bringing another car next weekend, he can adjust it for free.

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
would a squeal a cold start also be an indicator that maybe the water pump may go out soon? I've got a slight squeal (recently changed the belts, and I think I might need to go in again and retighten), and I really hope it isn't the water pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts