Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting duals on my 2000 G20t. What they said they would do was cut out the muffler and split the existing pipes, then add two balls (supposed to work like mufflers but are very small) and run the piping around the gas tank and back to the original place. They say it will look factory (as I will get that exhaust cutout on the other side) but I'm worried about how it will sound. Has anyone done this? pics? Does anyone know if this is a safe thing to do? Will it negatively effect the reliability of the car? Any opinions are appreciated - having problems deciding if i want to spend big bucks when there is the possibility my car will sound like sh*^!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I would recommend against it. It would probably hurt performance. Here's something that may be of interest:
"The hitch is that pipe sizing is very important to the flow of the system. The bigger the pipe is the less pressure is there, however if the pipe is too big for the amount of air an engine can move, you'll lose power, even though there isn't any backpressure. If you run a 3 inch system on the car, the velocity of the exhaust gases is going too slow down, because the gases have to expand to fill the pipe. And slowing down the exhaust obviously isn't what you want."
That said, a dual exhaust setup will be purely cosmetic, and it definately won't be worth the expense. ;)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hey shawny boy check primerweb.co.uk and click on members cars you will see a P11 with twin exit exhausts.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I was acutally thinking about doing the exact same thing. I was going to go about it the cat-back way and have it custom made from the cat back. Who was going to do this for you and how much were they going to charge?

As far as the performance issues... i plan on getting a turbo soon, so i need something bigger anyway, and why not go double... I cant see why that would be worse for performance than a single 2 1/2 cat back. I would like to know more about how a dual cat back exhaust would hurt performance.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
thats a good question....... what about on a turbo application ? would dual really hurt at all on a big turbo with bigger diameter piping all around downpipe and exhaust?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i was going to put a dual exhaust on my 2002 g20 but when i went to the place they said they couldnt do it becasue i have an emissions box on the left side and if i got rid of that i wouldnt pass smog tests

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
freaktroll said:
I was acutally thinking about doing the exact same thing. I was going to go about it the cat-back way and have it custom made from the cat back. Who was going to do this for you and how much were they going to charge?

As far as the performance issues... i plan on getting a turbo soon, so i need something bigger anyway, and why not go double... I cant see why that would be worse for performance than a single 2 1/2 cat back. I would like to know more about how a dual cat back exhaust would hurt performance.
viet-g20 said:
it wont neccesarily hurt performance if u get a little smaller piping
cas8_1999 said:
thats a good question....... what about on a turbo application ? would dual really hurt at all on a big turbo with bigger diameter piping all around downpipe and exhaust?
Well, I can't find the webpage that talks about turbos and exhaust sizing for the SR20DE, but it did state that the OE G20 exhaust system is pretty well designed(except for the damn headers) as is so unless you're sure 100% about the making changes(single vs. double cat back, smaller dual piping, bigger piping all around downpipe and exhaust) it would probably be best to leave it as is. If you notice in the 12/01 issue of SCC about the SR20DET swap (written by Geo(aka King George)himself) , you'll notice that most of the exhaust system is stock. So you can keep the rest of the exhaust as is even for a turbo setup. Now keep in mind that it was a P10 and not a P11, but I doubt that wolud make any difference so I think that stock is the best way to go.
As for a normally aspirated engine Shawny-Boy, I'd say rather than get dual exhausts, invest your hard-earned bucks in the Hotshot Header. What the heck, get a cold-air-intake while your at it. The combination of the two should give you a nice-sounding growl.

Of course, there could be some more up-to-date info on this so if I am wrong, please let me know.;)

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
That guy with the P10 with the T4 from new zealand has dual but he does had a damn t4

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
so on a turbo appl.. this may be an improvement to go dual was that what it summed up to?
but on non turbo the stcok exhaust is pretty much the way to go.
casual

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Even with a turbo application, unless your running STUPID HP, your just adding weight. I dont know of anyone that has claimed 3" exhaust is too small on a turbo....

Yep, the stock exhaust is the way to go...$500+ for a 3-5 Hp gain is not necessarily the best dollar spent...get some S3 cams for that kinda cash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts