Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at best buy today and was looking at this stuff called dynamat. You put it in your trunk, under carpet, doors, headliner, and around speaker locations and it supposed to keep the sound in your car and dramatically reduce the vibrations caused by bass. Have you guys heard of this stuff or do any of you have this in your car or do you know anything about this product. This sounds like a good product but i want to see if people anyone knows anything about this.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yah it works great. I have it in some locations around the car...If you take up the back seat of the G you will see that there is some sound dampening material already on...but it will always help to put more on.

I have yet to rip up the carpet but i guarantee if you line the bottom of the car and close to the fender walls, you will have a quiter ride. It also may help to put some along the firewall up front. It would require some gutting of the interior tho.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have it as well, but sometimes the shit falls off the top of the trunk..

I have noticed SOME improvement with it installed, as far as sound goes - but it doesn't get rid of any rattle or anything :). My sound system kicks really strongly that nothing would stop the rattle.

It's somewhat costly as well. If you have a really good system, you might want to consider it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I honestly don't think it did much of anything haha :).

The boom is still in the car. The purpose of it is to keep the sound within the car, so it doesn't escape, so the boom is there... again, I really didnt notice a big difference at all.. sounds the same without it :).

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
there is another company out there called Cascade Audio Engineering that makes several types of sound dampeners, some sheet some spray on.

www.cascadeaudio.com

I heard its a lot better than Dynamat and doesnt have that tar smell, thats what Ive been told anyway, I dont have any personal experience with it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Ive used Dynamat before and its good stuff. It basically dampens rattling noises and reduces vibration caused by bass. It can help imporove sound quality by installing it around a speaker before you screw it down and also behind the speaker, so that no sound waves bounce back to cancel out the speaker. All in all, top stuff, but heat up the surface and the dynamat with a hair dryer before you press it sown firmly, or it wont stick too well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My dynamat story:

I installed a whole roll of Dynamat Original (about $100 - don't remember) all over my brother's trunk and rear deck in his old 95 Accord. It did pretty much NOTHING. Considering he was bumping 2 Rockford Power DVC 12's in a bandpass (nice SPL), he needed way more than that one lil roll.

I think if you have slight vibration, then dynamat will help. But if it's rattling away, it would be MUCH better to simply reinforce whatever's rattling.

With the experience in my G - the rear deck rattles like there's no tomorrow. I used long strips of wood to reinforce it and it helped definitely more than dynamat would've (cheaper too).

Try this - go in your trunk and hit the bottom of the rear deck with your fist...it'll flex some and rattle. Now ask yourself this - can dynamat REALLY stop that dramatically? Not without spending a lot of money for it.

As for sound insulation - it's GREAT. It'll keep music in, and unwanted road noise OUT.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I've also seem dymamat used to lower the interior sound levels of cars with loud exhausts. Of course, the rattle was still there so its value is still debateable.:-\

1 - 9 of 9 Posts