Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says... in the dash the brake light stays on.

It happened like a week ago, but after I drove for a little while it came off. This morning it didn't. I left work and it stayed on the whole time. The ABS works (as I was driving on ice), and the ABS light is not on. The ebrake is not engaged, but the light stays on.

Does it have to do anything with the cold???

All my searching returned either ABS questions, or brake lights that stay on, but nothing about the dash ebrake light.

It's annoying... any ideas?

Demon

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
check your brake fluid and brake pads. if the fluid is low the light will come on. if the fluid is low without any leaks, it is probably due to the pads wearing down

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the fluid froze! :LOL: It's just so damn cold here.

I do know my pads are wearing down.... I'll check the fluid later today.

Thank you.

Demon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the float in the brake fluid resevior it is probably stuck down and/or your pads are low. I've never seen brake fluid freeze!(I live in central Ontario)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all...

I would have checked somewhere in the rear tires first, not knowing what to look for.

Indeed, the fluid reservoir is low. The problem is that the tube is pretty wet on the outside, leading me to believe there is a leak somewhere. I will have to pay a mechanic sometime to fix it.

For now I'll just keep adding brake fluid.

:baffled:

Demon

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
My ebrake light is on because I need a new ebrake switch in the middle console. When I move the ebrake lever up and down slightly I can make the light go off and on. Does your light turn off at all by moving the lever?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
I dunno about on US P10's but on mine I can tell whether it is the fluid or switch that's causing it because the fluid will only cause one light to come on whereas the switch will turn both lights on.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
markbuts3 said:
I dunno about on US P10's but on mine I can tell whether it is the fluid or switch that's causing it because the fluid will only cause one light to come on whereas the fluid will turn both lights on.

Huh??? "the fluid will only cause one light to come on whereas the fluid will turn both lights on?"

Anyway,

I"m pretty sure it's the fluid, as it is clearly leaking. I've never had any problems with the handbrake, and there is just no way to make it turn on or off with the lever/switch. I tried quite a bit.

I will let you know tomorrow once I have the chance to buy some fluid.

Demon

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Should have said switch turns both lights on :p...gimme a break, my brain isn't working properly, I have other things on my mind.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, congrats BTW. I was actually surprised that you replied. I thought you wouldn't be leaving the hospital. Maybe you have a laptop there? :p

Anyway, I added brake fluid and it went away. Now i just gotta find out how long it will last this way.

Demon

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
check to make sure your calipers aren't leaking, most likely you have a leak in your cylinder. I had that, ended up replacing them. Just look underneath see if there's oil in the inside of your wheel...

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
DemonAstroth said:
Yes, congrats BTW. I was actually surprised that you replied. I thought you wouldn't be leaving the hospital. Maybe you have a laptop there? :p

Anyway, I added brake fluid and it went away. Now i just gotta find out how long it will last this way.

Demon
I'm there from about 10am after I've taken Jake to school and then come back to pick him up and head back there, after feeding him, until about 8pm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my dash brake light. The red brake light in my dash has been on since november. It goes off rarely when I'm braking, but it never stays off for more than a few seconds. I checked the fluid, and it's right where it should be. So I checked out the handle itself, and there was a AAA battery lodged under it, keeping it from going down all the way. I was able to get the battery out with my trusty extendo-magnet, and the handle now goes all the way back down, but the light still doesn't go off. So is it most likely just that the pads need replacing or the float in the brake fluid reservoir? I was planning on changing my pads in the next week, but just in case, where is the float and what does it look like so I can check that out?

·
♥
3,947 Posts
i thought i had this same problem the other day... but a water bottle cap had fallen beneath the switch keeping the light on when the lever was down. :zoinks:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
the light has nothing to do with the brake system, is your switch in the middle of the console that gets stuck, I'm having the same prob on my P10.

Rob

·
♥
3,947 Posts
92_G20_SE said:
the light has nothing to do with the brake system, is your switch in the middle of the console that gets stuck, I'm having the same prob on my P10.

Rob
if your low on fluid, the brake light will illuminate, so i would say it has a lot to do with the brake system

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
92_G20_SE said:

Rob
Not true. I had the light come on when my brakes became really worn. I added fluid (not a smart thing - change the pads instead) and the light is gone and has not come back. When I replace the pads I should have a mess of fluid come out the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I added fluid and it seemed to have worked. I actually did not have a leak... in the brake fluid. It was the PS. My brakes are getting a little low though, I will be changing them soon.

Demon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts