Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just helped my buddy install a custom built CAI in his car today, but it started to act up. We got the desired sound from the CAI, but not the desired power. When we let it idle, it kinda bounces around from 6 - 8 hundred RPM's, and when we are ridin' in it and he gives it full gas, the engine will start to act erratic from about 3200 RPM's to about 4500 RPM's before becoming stable again. Now we have tried messing around with the Idle screw, but that doesnt really do anything but bounce around higher or lower RPM's depending on where it's set. Also, it cant be a restricton of air because we made sure the idle screw was set to stock, then we took the cone off of the intake and ran it that way for a while even taking it around the block once.

So we are at a DEAD END for the time being and really dont know what to do. He's going to be back tomorrow morning to work on it some more and see if we can find the problem but if you guys could help us out that would be great, cause we would really like to get not only the sound of the CAI, but the power from it too, not a power reducer.

-- Oh and one other thing to note, when we had the idle screw set at a certain point, not that far out but not in as far as stock, the car would not rev above 4000 RPM's. I kinda think the problem might be along the lines of having an incorrect oxygen - Fuel mixture/ratio. Only thing is, we dont know how to regulate how much fuel is being injected into the engine.

Thanks guys and please if you have any idea as to what the problem is, help us out! It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
526 Posts
on my eclipse it has a weird idle aswell. When the car is cold the idle sits at 1500rpms for awhile till it warms up some then drops back to around 700rpms. No clue why and havent tried to figure it out. Before i got the car it had a weird idle jump like what your saying and it turned out to be the air flow sensor. That was replaced and the stock intake was put back on and now it does as i stated in the beginning.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
SleakG20 said:
on my eclipse it has a weird idle aswell. When the car is cold the idle sits at 1500rpms for awhile till it warms up some then drops back to around 700rpms.
That is normal. Most if not all cars have a higher cold idle so the engine doesn't stall out as it tries to warm up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I didnt know that.....but come to think of it my mom did mentions something about that....but it still sounded weird to me.

mom FTW!

·
Registered
69 Posts
JAYGOTBOOST said:
is it a 4g63 motor ??????
+1 ^^^ a year and trim would be good info as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A loose or cracked vacuum line will do it, or if you left one off. Double check your work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts