Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did a search & really didn't find what I wanted to know. Anyway since you all talk about motors & other stuff this is the only forum I thought find what I needed to know. The wife has a 95 P10 (5spd) & I was shocked to find out the car had a second O2 sensor. Didn't know Nissan started OBD2 in 95 but anyway it brought me to the question, is it possible to put in an ECU from an older P10 or an SE-R Sentra? I got a friend who has the ability to to tune ECU's. If so I'd think the harness may have to be changed too. Sorry for such a long post but I just wanted to be clear about what I wanted to do. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Im sorry I don't have an answer for you... but I was wondering why you would want to change from OBD2 to OBD1? Are there any major advantages of having OBD1? If so, what are they?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Nissan started OBD-II in '94 on the Infiniti P10. You'd have to replace the loom and maybe some sensors too to go to OBD-I.

You can still tune the OBD-II ECU with a daughter-board anyway afaik...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lemywings said:
Im sorry I don't have an answer for you... but I was wondering why you would want to change from OBD2 to OBD1? Are there any major advantages of having OBD1? If so, what are they?
I was told the OBD2 can't be tuned. But I'm not very familiar w/ Nissan computers either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
markbuts3 said:
Nissan started OBD-II in '94 on the Infiniti P10. You'd have to replace the loom and maybe some sensors too to go to OBD-I.

You can still tune the OBD-II ECU with a daughter-board anyway afaik...
Daughter board? Can you clue me in a bit more on this? Never heard of such but if it works, I'm game to give it a shot. Thanks.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
you got a bunch of reading to do on sr20forum. you have a ton of options for either swapping to obd1 or in my opinion, using the obd2 ecu

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Reflex said:
Daughter board? Can you clue me in a bit more on this? Never heard of such but if it works, I'm game to give it a shot. Thanks.
How were you planning on tuning the OBD-I ECU ?? Either one needs a daughter-board adding to store new maps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
markbuts3 said:
How were you planning on tuning the OBD-I ECU ?? Either one needs a daughter-board adding to store new maps.

I knew something like this could be done for OBD1 but I didn't know it could be done to the OBD2 ECU. Thats what made me ask the question about back-dating to OBD1.

·
Registered
462 Posts
what do mean by you cannot tune OBD-II? what are you trying to do that you think you cannot do with OBD-II? If anything, you can do much more with OBD-II than OBDI. What you are saying is like you can do more with computers from 1970s than computers from 2007!

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
pmaadani said:
what do mean by you cannot tune OBD-II? what are you trying to do that you think you cannot do with OBD-II? If anything, you can do much more with OBD-II than OBDI. What you are saying is like you can do more with computers from 1970s than computers from 2007!
You can't tune either without extra components. 2000+ OBD-II is different again though and you can't do anything with that at the moment.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
i do not see the wish to chnge from obd1 ecu in a p10. but if you want to convert your 95 i have all the differents in my head. s i hve done engines bout high port and low port swaps in both. hat i can say is their is more than one way to do it. wht are you plans with her car? i cn come up with the most cost effective way. but you need to tell me what you have and want put of the car. ill give you th best info if you give me the beast of your needs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
All the on board ECUs are programmed in a certain way, if you know anything about programing you can break the codes and re program the ECU the same way it was programmed when it was designed. After all ECU programs are not from unknown godly power! One man makes a code another breaks it and improves it! So the jokes about you cannot program one or other is for people who do not know how to do it.
You are not going to get more than few horsepower by messing around with the program. After all Nissan pays a good chunk of change to programmers and other smart folks to figure out the nice ratio of power and efficiency and that is what the car is designed to do.
Yeah you could boost a few ponies here and there but be ready to pay the cost of new tranny and new catalytic convertor.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
No you can't simply reprogram the ECU, you need to dump the ROM, alter it then write it to a chip. Nothing in the ECU is re-flashable so how do you do that without adding a daughter-board or removing a chip and replacing it with a flashed chip ??

Why would you need a new tranny and cat ?? :-\

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
pmaadani said:
All the on board ECUs are programmed in a certain way, if you know anything about programing you can break the codes and re program the ECU the same way it was programmed when it was designed. After all ECU programs are not from unknown godly power! One man makes a code another breaks it and improves it! So the jokes about you cannot program one or other is for people who do not know how to do it.
You are not going to get more than few horsepower by messing around with the program. After all Nissan pays a good chunk of change to programmers and other smart folks to figure out the nice ratio of power and efficiency and that is what the car is designed to do.
Yeah you could boost a few ponies here and there but be ready to pay the cost of new tranny and new catalytic convertor.
i dont think anyone is trying to reprogram the ECU on a stock motor.... everything in this post has been sound advice. the need to reprogram the ecu arises when one puts mods on the engine. nobody said the stock tuning was poor for a stock motor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pmaadani said:
Look man, this may be common knowledge to U but it's all a new game to me. I had NO idea U can tune the 94 factory ECU. If so, then I'm in luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
StangG20 said:
i dont think anyone is trying to reprogram the ECU on a stock motor.... everything in this post has been sound advice. the need to reprogram the ecu arises when one puts mods on the engine. nobody said the stock tuning was poor for a stock motor.
Well put!!!
OK, now that's what I'm talking about! I'd never want to tune anything w/ the motor still bone stock. But so we're on the same page, this is my plans. CAI, (maybe a 91 intake cam), header & catback. Along w/ a tranny from an SE-R.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Reflex said:
Well put!!!
OK, now that's what I'm talking about! I'd never want to tune anything w/ the motor still bone stock. But so we're on the same page, this is my plans. CAI, (maybe a 91 intake cam), header & catback. Along w/ a tranny from an SE-R.
The ECU will handle those mods fine without tuning.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
So what exactly do you need to know ??

We've told you that the ECU in your car is tunable with a daughterboard, as is an earlier OBD-I ECU. So tell your friend to tune it...you need the same work on either so why go to the trouble of swapping ECUs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
markbuts3 said:
So what exactly do you need to know ??

We've told you that the ECU in your car is tunable with a daughterboard, as is an earlier OBD-I ECU. So tell your friend to tune it...you need the same work on either so why go to the trouble of swapping ECUs.
Nevermind. I found my friend & he explained the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts