Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people.
2000 G20, Manual Tranny...
I was cleaning a couple of things here and there...:cleaned IAAC valve, throttle body, PCV valve, air filter, coolant & fluids checked.
For no reason at all I went to see if I could check and clean the EGR valve, so I disconnected the connector from the side of the plastic cap and I unscrewed (or should I say SCREWED) the three chrome allen-type screws that bolt down that triangular piece of metal. I removed the cap (the one with a LOT of small metal pieces on the inside). Something that is the shape of a star fell to the floor and by then I knew I should NOT have removed those screws...
I replaced the star on the cap, put the cap back immediately as best as I could, no problem.
Now the car will crank but be VERY difficult to start, and when it does, it idles VERY ERRATICALLY, and you can hear a very distinctive tic-tic-tic-tic sound coming from the area around the EGR.
This happened around two hours ago, so I'm not touching it until I know exactly what happened and how to resolve it. May be I put that little star backwards?
Nothing was broken or bent while I was doing the cleaning stuff...

The FSM does not have the inside diagram for this part.

Anybody has any ideas where to go next?

Thanks again,

Robert

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it, fixed it...

Hello people!

This for your information...
Based on a signal from the ECM this sensor moves a piece that screws down onto the EGR to open it, or back up to close it. If you dissassemble by mistake this sensor, make sure that the angled points of the little star that goes on the inside point towards the plastic cap, and NOT towards the EGR. Also make sure that the screw piece on the bottom is all the way up into the base(it will come out at its shortest), before installing the cap back on, so it has range so the sensor can push it down or up when required to open or close the EGR.
Total cost: two beers with a friend that has a Master's in electronics...
The car is like new again...
Be careful if you need to tamper with this thing...

Robert

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
Its great you figured it out. Its even better that you went ahead and told us what it was.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This happened to me. I was so bummed out and I kept tinkering with it for 2-3 hours. Finally I found the right combination (just like OP said), pointed edges upwards, screw thing all the way up. Voila.

I really should stop trying to fix my car. The more I mess with it the more I mess it up. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts