Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of lowering my G or going with a carbon fiber hood. Since the carbon fiber hood might look a little awkward on a stock red P11 I'm thinking of going with the springs for now.

My question is...how will these do on stock shocks? I have read that they will blow eventually, but say if I put the springs on now and in February move to Texas will these be ok till I get over there? Also, is there any modification involved in installing these? I would like to install them myself and if there is modification needed is it possible to go back to the stock springs?

Thanks for the info. guys!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
what you will need is a spring compressor for you to remove the springs from the shocks.. as for modifications pretty much bolt on. But it is def. recommended that you replace the shocks. Stock shocks will not last long but I think they should hold for a month. p11 shock removal and installation and yes it is possible to go to stock springs, but most likely you'll need new shocks.... that link is a how to remove and install the shocks.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There's no way to really answer that. You hit a pothole, bump or dip, you could blow a strut, oem or aftermarket, aftermarket springs with stock struts will just make it more likely to happen. I'd save until you could afford the springs AND new struts. Otherwise it's like you'd install them twice, and have to get an allignment twice.

But honestly, assuming your struts are in decent condition, and you drive extra carefully, I guess you'd make it until February, but still, I'd just do them both at the same time.

Lots of people install struts and springs themselves, from what I gather it's not too hard, but I'm scared of killing myself with a spring should the spring compresser fail.

>_>

<_<

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys!! I just was hoping to install them for the meet..if I end up getting more freaked out that I will blow my struts..than I'll just remove them and put the stock ones back on..Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Make sure you trim the bumpstops by an adequate amount(most aftermarket springs come with a chart that lists the recommended trimming amount). Aftermarket bumpstops may be used(1" rubber stops shown here)"

Sorry, but I saw that in the how-to and have a question..are bump stops easy to come by? I would rather by the 1" bump stops than cutting mine...or is the "trimming" not needed?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i have eibach springs with koni special red struts...
but i was ridin on stock struts up front for a while when i
blew by koni's the first time around. the ride is pretty rough,
but chances are you'll be fine until Feb.

i just trimmed by bump stops, didnt feel
like spendin the extra money at the time.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
I had Eibach sprinsg and stock shocks for almost 2 years, no problems. Then I went from stock to Koni Red to Koni Yellow. All with the Eibach springs. Man, now I'm really happy....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ride and handling will always be best when the springs and struts are matched up. But anywho, I'd also look into some MEP mounts if you can find them, and there's always a few options, buy some Koni bumpstops, buy new ones and trim those, or just trim the ones you have.

David99G20T said:
if I end up getting more freaked out that I will blow my struts..than I'll just remove them and put the stock ones back on..Thanks again for the help!
Just remember though, the 'damage' done to the stock struts by having the aftermarket springs is the 'damage done', if they blow, they blow, changing back to the stock springs won't change that, you can't undo the stress they were under.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. guys! Any ideas on where I can purchase bump stops, so I don't have to trim mine? I have a dremel, so the trimming shouldn't be hard..I just don't want to risk messing it up...Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts