Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1992 G20 5-speed car that just failed emissions. It has been well cared for, but failed nonetheless. I would like to hear the forums experiences in terms of potential issues that might lead to this problem.

BTW, the car has about 100k on it currently. I just called and the EGR valve (if needed is about $130) while the O2 sensors are $167 a piece and if needed I will need 3.

Damn this can be expensive.

Thanks for your help in advance.

RAL:*(

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you have a rotten egg smell when sitting at a stoplight? If you do, then the catalytic converter could be bad.
You can check the EGR valve to see if it is sticking when revving the engine. The Haynes manual describes how to check this. You can check the EGR valve by placing a finger underneath the EGR valve and pressing up to see if it is stuck. If it is not stuck, then rev the engine and place a finger underneath the EGR valve and feel if you feel movement (the valve opening). I am at work right now, so I could give a better explanation when I am at home.
As for the O2 sensor, I replaced mine with a aftermarket sensor for $50-60. I believe I bought it at oxygensensors.com. If its the EGR valve, I'm sure you can find an aftermarket valve cheaper as well.

Good luck. Hope this helps. :)

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
O2 sensor
Catylitic convertor
EGR/BPT valves
DE-carb. the engine - a.k.a engine vac

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question

Thanks very much. BTW, is the Haynes manual for a SER the same as for the G20 in terms of mechanical information?

·
Registered
529 Posts
The Haynes manual is very helpful for the G20. The biggest difference is that Nissan also made a 1.6L engine besides the 2.0L. So, a lot of the information does not pertain to the 2.0L. The photos are helpful in locating certain parts on the car. You can buy the G20 factory service manual (FSM) on eBay for a decent price, in case you G20 did not come with the manual located in the trunk. The FSM has a lot of information for troubleshooting and maintenance for the at home mechanic.

Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow-up

Well, I got a bit lazy in figuring out what to do so I took it to the dealer. The dealer, Roswell Infiniti, said that the car appeared to be running rich and then checked their records only to find out that the plugs had not been changed. Yep, the car has 103k and they forgot to change the plugs at the scheduled 60k maintenance.

I had a heart to heart talk with the service manager, but I'm fairly teed off that you spend big bucks to take it to a dealer and they FORGET to change the plugs.

I then passed the test, but just barely with the HC still reading high - allowed is 132 and I read 130.

I took off the EGR and cleaned it and that coupled with the new plugs should drop the HC reading down. But if it doesn't then I guess I will have to speak to the dealer again.

I would be even more furious, but the car is on borrowed time since the most recent addition to the family means it's minivan-time. Ugh, but there's no way around it.

:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts