Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
brave little...
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i just joined the forum and have searched here for about 6 hours learning a lot on how to change the lights on the interior of the car to other colors.

i came to the conclusion that there wasnt one thread that told me everything i wanted to know. so hopefully i have done that here with my very first how-to.

i wanted all white led's but since i have read and seen how the hvac lcd screen works, white wasnt going to work, so i chose my 2nd option: blue.

im sorry im im long winded but i didnt want to leave anybody with questions. The pictures and explanations have a lot of writing i guess as to explain everything clearly. so if did something wrong lmk so i can fix it.

here is my $90 superbrightled.com order that will be used in the following pictures.

i have not received the leds and thus not installed anything but i had to know 100% before i ordered them so here is the led list:

all purchased from superbrightleds.com

LED type: 3022-x4 LED Festoon bulb (White)

Info: 30x10mm (1.181 inches long)12 VDC Festoon Base Bulb with 4 LEDS
Select LED Color
Used for: Dome Light
Quantity: 1
Price: $ 1.89 each

LED Type: WLED-x4 LED bulb (White)

INFO: 12VDC 4-LED Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type)
Select LED Color
Used for: Front & Rear bumper lights, side marker lights (fenders), Park lights, trunk light?, Map lights
Quantity: 9
Price: $1.59 each

LED Type: NeoWedge Instrument LED bulb (Blue)

Info: NeoWedge series 1-LED Twist Lock Instrument Cluster and Gauge illumination bulb
Available in 3mm or 4mm sizes and five LED colors
Select Size and LED Color
Used for: HVAC controls, not screen
Quantity: 4 (4mm size)
Price: $1.29 each

LED Type: RL5-B12120 Blue LED

Info: Blue Super Bright LED 470nm / 1200 mcd / 120 Degree Viewing Angle Flat Tipped 5mm LED
Used For: Hazards(1), defrost (2x), driver & passenger window switch(1 ea.), Dimmer?, Seat Heaters (2x), all of these must be soldered on, the nissan bulbs are to small and rare and not worth replacing.
Quantity: 10
Price: $0.59 each

LED Type: 74-xHP3 Wedge Base LED bulb (Cool White)

Info: 3 High Power SMD LEDs with wide beam angle radially mounted - 15 lumen
Small Wedge Base LED bulb (74 type) 3/16 inch wide base, 3/4 inch overall length
Select LED Color
Used for: Gauge illumination(tach,rpm,gas,temp)
Quantity: 5
Price: $3.49

the only reason i got these over just the 74-x Wedge Base LED Bulb, is the these have side LED's. i hope the light dispersion is better and not just focused on one area. they are expensive and i only need the 5 to illuminate the 2 large gauges and 2 small gauges.

LED Type: 74-x Wedge Base LED bulb

Info: Small Wedge Base LED bulb (74 type)~ 2 lumen
3/16 inch wide base, 13/16 inch overall length
Flat tipped LED produces wide beam angle
Used For: the other information lights on instrument cluster: check engine, oil, park, drive, etc.
Quantity: 21 (there are a total of 26 spots to illuminate, i wanted white gauges with blue needles blue other stuff)
Price: $1.19 each

LED Info: 921-x9 Wedge Base LED bulb

Info: 921 Type with 9 LEDs, replaces 194/168 wedge base car bulbs
measures 1.25 inch long by 0.60 inch diameter
Select LED Color
Used For: Reverse Lights
Quantity: 2
Price: $1.95

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
This is shaping up to be an awesome howto! I'm interested to see how well the 74's you selected disperse light in the cluster. Also, how well do the twist-lock bulbs fit, and what size is needed?

·
brave little...
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is shaping up to be an awesome howto! I'm interested to see how well the 74's you selected disperse light in the cluster. Also, how well do the twist-lock bulbs fit, and what size is needed?
Subscribed
would you guys do me a favor? i dont mean to be anal but do you think you could move your post below my last one? just so all the pictures are together. if you i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Great introduction :D

I would have used more leds on the festoon, trunk and map ones (I have 10 and 3x16 there and I think it's still not enough).

Very interested on the gauge ones, keep us informed (I hope dx or focalprice begin to sell rare bulb types, as the 74...).

Great work mate!

·
Dude, your bed is a car..
4,567 Posts
this kicks ass!!!

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
nice and thorough write up.

i think the bulbs for the reverse lights are the wrong ones though? i could be wrong.

·
"the government"
2,613 Posts
Great job! For now, just keep posting the stuff in this thread and when your done we can make it a sticky and have all the posts together.

Keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
lets get afterwards pictures!!!!!!!!one!!!111!!!!oneone!!

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
nice write-up. I did pretty much all of the lights you did, but I used regular LEDs and resistors on the input wires. you went a little nuts with the climate control in-use lights though, but now I might have to follow your lead :)
for the climate control dispay I used transucent blue vyinl applied to the inside of the tinted lense. worked perfect and I only needed one layer. its also self adhesive so no mounting issues like with celafane

how do your needles light up with the blue gauge lights? I needed to add some clear LEDs under the needle dispersal lenses. I actually glued them into the lenses angled at the needles.
show some night time lit pictures

·
brave little...
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice write-up. I did pretty much all of the lights you did, but I used regular LEDs and resistors on the input wires. you went a little nuts with the climate control in-use lights though, but now I might have to follow your lead :)
for the climate control dispay I used transucent blue vyinl applied to the inside of the tinted lense. worked perfect and I only needed one layer. its also self adhesive so no mounting issues like with celafane

how do your needles light up with the blue gauge lights? I needed to add some clear LEDs under the needle dispersal lenses. I actually glued them into the lenses angled at the needles.
show some night time lit pictures
i would like to see the translucent blue vinyl you used. i just gave the celophane a shot cuz its cheap and was down the road at the store. i think your idea is better.

oh yeah and just an fyi, all the cluster lights illuminating the white numbers and things are not leds. i replaced the factory #74 neo's with importcarpartsplus.com's #74's, they are practically the same thng with blue rubber condoms on top but they were a little brighter. i imagine that leds will be drastically brighter and whiter.
i have not done anything to the needles yet, i am in the process of ordering a used p10 cluster of ebay and taking the needles off that so i can illuminate those blue while having the gauge faces white. i think it would be a good contrast, it looked good with my last p10.

this is what the daytime p10 looked like. importcarpartsplus.com for blue needle set and white overlays. and i cant member where i got the aluminum bezel
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1706
/4041/4264520002_large.jpg

pictures arent great, i took them when i was 16.

this is what i kind of want to do with the p11 except all warning lights will be blue, and the white will be much brighter. and it will all be dimmable with factory dimmer.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
this is awesome man. i have been waiting for a good write up like this.(i just sponsored so i havent even seen the other write up yet) im going to follow this for sure. sticky for sure...good job. i want mine to look like that ^ now.

·
brave little...
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ay, on those LEDs being soldered , where are the resistors?
yeah i thought about the reisitors, i have a few very small resistors. like the ones that are as small as an led. i dont know if you know which ones im talking about but they are little brown tube looking ones with different colored stripes that indicate the resistance. a different arrangement of stripes means a different resistence.

i hope i to use these but we had the same problem in my friends 02 altima, doing the exact same thing, so we just soldered the leds on there, and had no problems at all. he still has them this way and its been like 4 years.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts