Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically my engine is leaking oil. After 156k miles I would expect there to be a broken seal eventually.

It is a manual 93 g20. The leak is coming from the center of the car by the oil pan. Where, I haven't determined yet.

Once I figure out which seal has been broken I will attempt to fix it. However I believe that more seals will break so I plan on rebuilding the engine.

I am in high school, I am trying to decide what I should do. I may buy a 93 Sentra, this would be great for parts. I am trying to make this as cheap and educational as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions to what may be leaking and how to fix it that would be great. Also the Sentra would become my mode of transportation until I complete rebuilding the engine. Please, fire away.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
If they leak is coming from the center, it could be the oil sending unit, or it could possibly be the transmission. Does the oil have a particularly strong smell? Gear oil (transmission) smells like crap, engine oil doesn't have much of a strong smell at all. Also, how much is it leaking? Just a few drops here and there are to be expected, but if it's pouring out, something needs to be done. My G leaks gear oil and engine oil, but I just check the levels regularly, it's no big deal. There's definitely no need to tear into the engine just for a minor leak.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
best bet would be to replace the RTV on the lower and upper oil pan, my car has that small leak and I'll get it done too as soon as I change my oil...

·
Registered
844 Posts
my money is on the oil sending unit. its a common problem and i had mine replaced due to an oil leak last summer and have had no leak since.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This oil sending unit, if it is defective - how quickly will the oil leak out? Does it come spewing out? Or does it just do drips every now and then?

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
It could also be the rear main seal, which sucks to replace.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rear main will just leak oil into the "dry compartment" of the tranny and toast your clutch...

It won't actually leak oil OUT of the car onto the ground........ unless your tranny is not even bolted on tight LOL

Chris

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Unless the mechanic was lying about the rear main seal being a problem in my old engine, that's not true, because there was definitely oil on the ground in that situation.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Step one: clean and degrease the engine.

Step two: drive for a bit and find out exactly where its leaking from.

Step three: fix the leak.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Try a high mileage oil. I have had good luck with Castrol GTX 10w 30 High mileage for smoking on my beater car. On the same car, (for the rear main seal leak) I had good results with 2 quarts Lucas Stabilizer and 2 Quarts 20W 50 Valvoline.

I got the seals replaced on my G20 because I like the car and had the money.

This was all done on my Mazda Protege. Careful with oils that are too thick in cold weather. I didn't really care on my Mazda though.

I doubt that the high mileage oils will hurt anything. May not do anything, but you won't know until you try.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now I run synthetic oil, when I stop I see maybe a puddle a little larger than a tennis ball in radius. It isn't very deep, I will change the oil sending unit and see if that works.

Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, if all goes according to plan tonight I might end up with another g20 93 with a SR20DET. I will probably end up rebuilding the SR20DET and moving it into my car and my engine rebuilt into the other one. Of course, this is if all goes according to plan. Even if it is a 15$ fix doesn't mean you can't be too safe re-doing all the seals =P

1 - 19 of 19 Posts