Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way in today, I'm pretty sure my timing chain broke. I dropped it off at a good shop for investigation. He said if it was the timing chain, my valves and probably one or two pistons are probably shot, leading to a rebuild or remanufactured replacement.

I'll update when I know more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yep, engine is toast.

Options:
1) Engine with 50k miles from houston for $2800 installed
2) Local engine with 100k miles for $2300 installed
3) Dump car.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Those prices seem really high. Someone over at Soken..I've heard a few people here/sr20forum have used them. Gave me a price for a JDM SR20DE installed for a little over $1000...the engine is about $500 or so picked up and about another $500 to install it. Get some more prices somewhere else. Good luck!

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
yeh those prices are sick

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
soko.com is shoshin I believe now.
Either way just got a quote from them and I would advise you do the same...Save yourself some $$$$

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
SR20DE

I'm assuming the cost/effort is not worth it to go to SR20DET... Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll call and find out how much of that is engine in the cost. I've also got the dealer working up a quote, but expecting it to be high. I just don't know who to trust for the install. I know this guy is good.

EDIT:
Called and install is $1200, the rest is engine cost. I left an inquiry for Soko (still soko) to find the cost.

2nd edit:
Engine is fine. One of the spark plugs blew out. The lack of compression caused that piston to rattle, which ironically, sounds just like the timing chain broken. I had used platinum plugs which he said shouldn't be used in these engines. I think I knew that 80k miles ago... he resleved and tapped the hole. Engine runs fine. I shut it off when it happened so i'm not worried about it.

Note: Soko.com could have got me an engine with 40k miles for $635 + $135 shipping to OK.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
gecko2424 said:
SR20DE2nd edit:
Engine is fine. One of the spark plugs blew out. The lack of compression caused that piston to rattle, which ironically, sounds just like the timing chain broken. I had used platinum plugs which he said shouldn't be used in these engines. I think I knew that 80k miles ago... he resleved and tapped the hole. Engine runs fine. I shut it off when it happened so i'm not worried about it.
No, your mechanic is feeding you a line of bull, but he repaired it correctly. First, I would question his ability to diagnose anything correctly. He obviously never ran a compression check or he would have seen the blown plug right away. The plug blew out because it was either installed incorrectly (cross threaded) or over tightened (stripped threads).
How does this guy tell you the timing chain broke, without ever inspecting it (easy to do)?
Platinum plugs have nothing to do with this. In fact, Platinum plugs are standard equipment from the factory.
You need to find another shop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured as much...it's fixed and running well though.

I don't think he had even opened the hood yet. I was the first to mention timing chain because for a couple days 1) power had been fluctuating 2) idle sounded off 3) when the plug went out, there was a metal bang and then bad rattling. It really sounded like the timing chain. He started it briefly and agreed. When he finally got in to look at the engine, he found the plug.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
AWOL_g said:
soko.com is shoshin I believe now.
Actually, I think it's SOKEN..when I got the number for swaps off of SR20FORUM..I think they referred to SOKO..but when they had the number listed it said SOKEN..I may be be wrong lol...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
ok how common is a snapped timing chain in these cars? I mean I had a 260k mile mustang and when i replaced the original chain it was still in ok shape just a little stretched. I mean thats one of the reasons I bought a G20. no crappy rubber timing belt to worry about. It still amazes me that car companies put out high compression interferance motors with freakin belts. i can see using a belt on a non interferance motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts