Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest issue of nissan performance mag has an interesting little article about motor mounts for the G20. It's specifically for the P10 but someone should confirm wether or not they will fit the P11. They only make the left right and rear mounts.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august02/pr_g20_mounts/

Our very own Kyle (G20-Budo) did the article.

Kyle: can you give us some more detailed impressions of living with these mounts? I'm assuming that they are installed on your car. :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
How about some prices as well. Finally, some motor mounts for our car that are not OEM!

Kyle, how long have they been on your car? Still feel good?

·
Registered
644 Posts
OMG I swear to god I need to replace my engine mounts. Finally a cure for the rattling sound, the sluggish throttle response, and the often "grinding" feel in the shift knob when changing gears. I'd be really interested in these if they only fit...

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well they only make the firewall, left and right mounts for the P10. I'm assuming that they could be the same but I doubt it....nothing is ever easy. ;) The P10's have a 'dogbone' front mount and I know that the P11's have a 'round' front mount.

Also keep in mind that these are pretty stiff and will cause a lot of NVH to be transmitted to the cabin at idle.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
If someone can take some measurements of P11 mounts I could figure out if P10 and P11 mounts are the same.

As for the PR mounts, they are very nice! I was there to help him install the mounts. Those were the first set on a G20, and they are designed to bolt right in place of the stock mounts. =) They are definitely a lot stiffer than stock. There is noticeable vibration transmitted to the cabin, but if you bump up the idle up to about 1K (or have the A/C on) most all of the vibration goes away. Just like Kyle said they do fix all the problems worn/broken mounts cause (shifting, rattles, etc...). I'd probably expect to pay somewhere in the $250-300 range for the full set of mounts. Although I could be way off on this, I don't know? That's just a guess. I'll let Kyle chime in with the rest of the info and his driving impressions.

BTW, as far as the front "dogbone" mount there is a pretty easy solution for P10's (and also P11's, just a different solution). For a P10 you can buy the Energy Suspension dogbone mount set for a B13 or B14 and use the larger bushing (like in the article) in the front mount opening, then just fill the gap with either windoweld or another ES bushing (or leave it open if you prefer, it'll help in any of those configurations). As for the P11 fix you could look into getting a new stock mount (if your's is worn out) and fill it with windo-weld urethane. (*Or if you want a harder compound look into a homemade urethane kit, although this will be pretty messy.)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See that's the thing that gets me about the Place racing mounts. They are STIFF! I'd like somthing stiffer than stock but not something that will rattle my teeth out. :)

Would place be interested in making the mount a bit softer for us foo-foo G20 drivers? ;)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
wow!

I wish I knew about these BEFORE I replaced them with factory ones.. Although even the factory one was re-designed for later P10s I'm told.... Hopefully I won't have to replace them any time soon! :)

I would like to know how much these aftermarket ones cost though! ..as a point of reference for future use!

·
Registered
92 Posts
mounts

I called PR just earlier today and the guy there, Jonathan, was very helpful, he said that they were 335 for the set of 3. Hope that price is decent enough for you guys, i called them and asked the to make an order for me, because I'll likely be buying them and replacing my old worn out ones in a few weeks. I'll let ya all know how i think they feel. Hell, I'll even ask them if they would be willing to make them a bit softer, although I doubt that they can be so stiff that it would be uncomfortable to drive.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Ok, let me see if I can answer some questions here..

As Justin said (and I stated in my article), there IS more NVH then there was before..

and no Jason, I'm sorry, they can't make them out of softer material, or they feel they won't hold up.

As for am I happy with them? YES.. I am. After raising the idle up to 1K rpm, the only time I really get the SHAKES is when I am leaving from a dead stop, and slip the clutch real slow, and let the rpm's dip down past 1K.

As for the cost and availability, I'm attempting to setup a group deal with PR for this first batch for G20.net. After this group deal is done, the cost of the mounts will go back up.

I currently don't have pricing, I'm waiting to get that from PR.. But all of you out there with P10's, drop me mail and let me know if you're interested.. (which means you're serious about buying!).

my email addy is: [email protected]

As for the P11 people, if someone can get me a set of old mounts, or if someone can send me the front and rear mounts and someone else can send me the side mounts (just so long as I can get a complete set), I'll get them to PR and work on getting a set of mounts for that car too.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Sorry took so long for me to reply, I'm in PA right now, going to NJ tomorrow, so I haven't been online and staying caught up that much lately.

C-ya..

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the P11 guys lets see if we can call around our respective towns to the infiniti dealerships or junkers and get some old set. I'll check around my area. :) I'd really like to see if these fit the P11.

·
Registered
268 Posts
MAN thats messed up! Now I see this I just did my mounts about 2 months ago. I filled them with that 3m windo weld stuff. Im sure the preformance should be about the same. Right??:(

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: hey icebox!

Chris said:
How do you like those mounts? Is there noticable vibration in the cabin now or not?
They are very stiff mounts, there will be vibration transmitted to the cabin. The only G20 with these mounts currently is G20-Budo's G20.

G- Dub96 said:
MAN thats messed up! Now I see this I just did my mounts about 2 months ago. I filled them with that 3m windo weld stuff. Im sure the preformance should be about the same. Right??:(
I filled my mounts quite a while back with the 3m urethane and it's nothing compared to the PR mounts. There is a night and day difference between the two. The PR mounts are noticeably stiffer and will hold the motor in place much tighter and for a longer period of time than stock mounts and the 3m stuff would.

From the little time I spent in the car it all depends upon your personal preference. If the car is just for me to drive around town in and race at the track I'd most definitely get the mounts and the little extra vibration wouldn't bother me at all, I'd get used to it just like I do all the other mods. However, if you drive others around (like business associates or clients) these might transmit more vibration into the cabin than you'd want. For example I'm sure my dad wouldn't mind driving in the car with the mounts, my mom might just ask what I did to the car, but I know my grandparents would definitely say something about the vibration.... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hmmmmm really? Even if I just changed the rear mount? Since thats all they have for my car. Since we are on the topic of mounts. Does it make a difference which direction you put in the rear mount?? I did not think it would since I filled it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
aight lets see, if i wanted to change out the mounts on my p10, how much labor is involved w/ that. i mean can i simply do it at my house. is this a overnight job or a weekend w/o a car job. finally any specific tools i need?

·
Registered
268 Posts
It was not really not that hard at all!! I did it over the weekend. But I was taking my time. I can be done in a day. I am sure you have all tools you need. I dont really remember what size sockets I used but you will need 2 wrenches and 2 different size sockets. Also have a screwdriver on hand and a can of PB Blaster. Ramps would not hurt eather. If you dont have ramps get them at Wal-Mart. 15bucks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
man that seems easier then installen headers!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
May take a little longer to install than headers. Thats if you are going to do all four. I forgot to tell you that it would not hurt to have 2 jacks. One to hold the engine and another to hold the cross member in place while you take it down and tighten it in. I used a floor jack and the dinky jack that came with the car. There are instructions somewhere on here. I cant belive I'm gonna say this but try the search.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Re: hey icebox!

JustinP10 said:

They are very stiff mounts, there will be vibration transmitted to the cabin. The only G20 with these mounts currently is G20-Budo's G20.

Actually, there's a G20 up here in Salt Lake City that just got a DET installed at a shop here...they put in the PR mounts. They were the ones that I first heard about these from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts