Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you bitch I have READ all the past forums and could not find anything

Here it is-

My only engine mod is a cone filter with a 4 inch pipe behind it to the mass air sensor, its pretty loud for just an intake and was fine for the past 3 months. One day I started my car up and drove off. I noticed a ticking or rattling sound from the engine plus my intake got EXTREMLY LOUD from 4600RPM and up as if I had VTEC, its as loud as my buddys Type R who has a CAI. The ticking can be heard from 1500-3200RPM then goes away, as the needle climbs I also notice a slight loss in power. When I criuse in 4th and its at about 2300RPM and I want more power I push the throttle and rattles a bit more this is also when I feel a loss in power. Before all this my car was running a little lean then I changed my plugs and wires and still the sound persists and isnt as lean, I also checked all clamps for leaks and my timing. My oil is fine aswell. The car still feels pretty fast but the sound is annoying almost like my posts and this one is the most important so please answer as best as you can THANKS !!:*( :*( :*(

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
So Funny or Do you like Apples ?

Man these two are like Matt Damon and that harvard guy in the bar scene in GOODWILL HUNTING when posting in the forum :lol:

How do like them search engine apples ? :eek:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: So Funny or Do you like Apples ?

poppy_morenito said:
Man these two are like Matt Damon and that harvard guy in the bar scene in GOODWILL HUNTING when posting in the forum :lol:

How do like them search engine apples ? :eek:
Oh stop! :paranoid: I'm being nice! :)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Umm.. this is like the exact same post as in the intake as loud as a type R's post you started maybe a week or so ago?

How do you know your car is running lean? or now not as lean since you did a tune up. did you also determine if it's detonation or not?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i can tell the difference whether my car is running not as lean because i can smell it. I am still unsure about detonation, besides knowing that it means the engine will blow. Do you think it could be my timing?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to mention that i drive about 1200 miles a month and i burn over a quart a month. does this have sumthing to do with the ticking?!:dead:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Well that can not be good. You acutally lose a quart each month I run 1100 a month and donth burn oil like that. You need a check up quick before you burn your motor up

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Not good at all.

Possible head gasket leaking or a cracked block. Smell your oil and see if there is a scent of antifreeze. If so, your head gasket is blown or your block could be cracked internally.

With your engine burn ing that much oil in a months time I will suspect your engine is on it's way out. Need a mechanic to look at that one. Don't think we'll be able to provide the correct answer to your issue!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
i can tell the difference whether my car is running not as lean because i can smell it.
Sorry, but your nose just isn't that accurate.

Now, if you checked the plugs and found them to be ash white I might believe your were running lean.

I am still unsure about detonation, besides knowing that it means the engine will blow. Do you think it could be my timing?
Could be. I'm almost certain it's pinging - especially at the rpm range you mention and the fact that it goes away as the revs climb. This could certainly be a timing issue.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Forgot to mention that i drive about 1200 miles a month and i burn over a quart a month. does this have sumthing to do with the ticking?!:dead:

I think I know what your problem is seriously.

If your engine drinks that much oil. Your rings are probably shot to sh!t and you are experiencing blow by. The combustion chamber is basically weak and is not keeping compression on the power stroke. I dont know but you could get a compression test done and that should help you realize that your rings are sh!t.

Oh yea, u asked before why your valve cover said nissan. Whoever had the car before you probably beat the living hell outta that car blew the original "infiniti" sr20 and replaced it with a "nissan" sr20 and just didnt swap valve covers.

DONT BE SCARED ITS THE SAME ENGINE!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Well, if the rings are bad and there is oil making it's way to the combustion chambers wouldn't that lead to detonation too?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Someone who knows where you live, doesn't like you, and owns a nice set of tools.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Okay okay okay, maybe something is hella leaking, or something is coming loose *wait, aren't those two related?* Either way from reading some of your more entertaining posts, I'd say it's about time to get another engine, unless you have real sentimental value for this engine and deep pockets. May I suggest the SR20DET?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.