Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 93.5 g into dealer with a timing chain rattle. Dealer says it may cost upto $5400. because cam is scarred --anyone else have this problem? car only has 72k on it Engine runs really good-I cannot believe I have that much damage--

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
lee756 said:
Took my 93.5 g into dealer with a timing chain rattle. Dealer says it may cost upto $5400. because cam is scarred --anyone else have this problem? car only has 72k on it Engine runs really good-I cannot believe I have that much damage--
I'll bet you have an auto tranny.

It's not an uncommon problem unfortunately.

The best guess is that the SR20DE requires regular forays into the upper rev range to keep the oil galleys cleaned out. If not, they will coke and sludge and eventually cut off oil supplies to critical areas of the engine.

Please keep in mind this is pure speculation based upon some observations. There is no, I repeat no scientific evidence that this is correct. But, since it tends to happen to auto tranny cars mostly (my manual was a rare exception, but it was not driven hard prior to my purchase), it seems to be a pretty good guess - especially since it almost never happens to SE-Rs.

That's the bad news. The good news is you can get a SR20DET installed for less. You can get a JDM SR20DE installed for significantly less. Lastly, you could get JWT cams and new rockers (required in this case) for significantly less than that. You might want to change rod bearings as well though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an extended warranty I bought with the car--It should cover it----dealer wants to go through engine top and bottom --where can the engines be purchase you mentioned? and you are right it is an auto tranny--I also own a 92 with a 5 speed with 106k miles and it does not have the same problem

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with Geo. A Nissan mechanic I talked to said he has cleaned out the cam lobe spray pipes on many SR20 engines that were blocked up with sludge. Regular oil changes and an occassional rev out helps prevent this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts