Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started on my very first engine build/turbo project, got a few questions though.

The donor engine comes from a P10 (My car is a P11!) and there are some differences. First off the donor engine uses the 8 CW crank, but this is a god thing, right? Also it has the girdle, so in theory it should be able to hold more power then my p11 engine!

Then there is the oil pan and oil-pickup, which is also different. On the donor engine the lower oil pan is bigger and the oil-pickup looks like the DET one (on the P11 it as a half spherical mesh). So, this raises some questions. First off, will I run into clearance problems with the bigger oil pan and the cross member under the engine? If so, can I swap over the oil pan from my p11 (both upper and lower)? which oil-pickup is the best? Looks like the P10 one reach lowest but I'm unsure. Also, do I need to make any modification to the oil pan to prevent oil-starvation, when doing some hard cornering?

As for reliability, I'm thinking of installing oil-squirters. Don't know if it’s even possible? The block is a 53J, don't know if it means anything. I think a did see a guide sometime ago on these boards, but can't find it! I do have access to a maschine shop!

When reassembling the engine, what kind of lube should I use? Thought it was regular motor oil, but was told to use some kind of assembly oil! And what to use to secure the bolts? Is Blue loctite safe to use?

I'm going to use a VE head gasket, and thinking about getting both the block and the head resurfaced to ensure a perfect seal. But should I use any kind of sealer or lube when assembling?

Well thats it for now, thanks in advance, for all your answers

/Michael

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Scuga said:
First off the donor engine uses the 8 CW crank, but this is a god thing, right? Also it has the girdle, so in theory it should be able to hold more power then my p11 engine!
Yes, you got that right.

Scuga said:
First off, will I run into clearance problems with the bigger oil pan and the cross member under the engine? If so, can I swap over the oil pan from my p11 (both upper and lower)? which oil-pickup is the best? Looks like the P10 one reach lowest but I'm unsure. Also, do I need to make any modification to the oil pan to prevent oil-starvation, when doing some hard cornering?
No clearance problems and it doesn't needs any modification, unless you have a Special Edition or something. I had a oil pressure meter.

Scuga said:
As for reliability, I'm thinking of installing oil-squirters. Don't know if it’s even possible? The block is a 53J, don't know if it means anything. I think a did see a guide sometime ago on these boards, but can't find it! I do have access to a maschine shop!
Just leave it the way it is, it's enough oil; for track application it's recomended anyways a oil cooler.

Scuga said:
When reassembling the engine, what kind of lube should I use? Thought it was regular motor oil, but was told to use some kind of assembly oil! And what to use to secure the bolts? Is Blue loctite safe to use?
Check the FSM for oil and torque specs.

Scuga said:
I'm going to use a VE head gasket, and thinking about getting both the block and the head resurfaced to ensure a perfect seal. But should I use any kind of sealer or lube when assembling?
Don't resurface them, just say to the machinist you want to have a perfect seal. I hear a lot of people using cooper spray, but with cosmetic and Apex'i HG and with APR HS, but I don't know about the VE HG with OEM HS, check the FSM.

Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CarloSR, you're the man ;-)

thanks alot. Gotta go study the FSM!

/Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts