Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93.5 G20 auto with a high port motor with 268,000 miles on it.
The Problem:
The battery was weak, stopped the car to attend a meeting , went to start it and dead! Jumped it and it ran fine. Next morning drove to work, after 20 minutes or so the oil light came on, pulled off the road and noticed that the engine was about a quart + low on oil, dumped a quart in and also noticed that there was oil splattering marks all over everything. Suspected the crank seal going. Drove another 40 minutes at 70 mph, noticed that the car was slowing down, pressed the accelerator peddle and nothing! Started to pull off the highway to investigate, as I pulled of on a ramp ( going up-hill) the engine stalled and stopped.
Towed home, replaced battery and engine will start and run but as soon as I lift my foot off the acceerator pedal it stalls out. There is a slight noise towards the crank pulley area but lessens if I rev up the engine.
Normal warning lights came on when it stalled going up the off-ramp. When I turn it over all warning lights go off.
Any suggestions as to why it will not idle? Easiest way to replace front carnk seal? Anyone interested in repairing the engine in the Southern New Jersey metro area?
Thanks for your impute.

Paul

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Hi, welcome to G20.net.
Check your alternator and locatefrom where the oil is coming out, you can do that with a engine cleaner (or degreaser). The warning light shouldn't come on if you only needed one quart, it will probably need more oil; after that do a complete tune-up.

Carlos.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I agree with the above posts, also you may have oil soaked your belts which are now slipping (no charging from alternator). If your oil light came on you had to have been at least two quarts low. Oil splattering in engine means your losing oil quickly. Don't be surprised if you have to replace your alternator.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if the engine was dying when the oil light was on this is normal, it is like something is wrong, it may also be a problem with your oil pump too, but if your losing oil, your in trouble, get the seals done mate and some half decent oil and your engine will run miles-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the info. As previously stated, while I was running at 70 mph on the highway I pressed the acceslorator and NOTHING happened. As I was pulling off the highway the engine stalled, that's when all the indicator lights went on - as they should, car was towed home. I have since replaced the battery and it turns over easily. It will start (all lights are out once it starts) it will run as long as I keep the accelorator pedal down. As soon as I lift my foot from the pedal it stalls. I repeat the scienario over and over with the same results. Any insight as to why the engine will not continue to run and stalls?

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Info, please

Yahnozha said:
ill second what c-man said, and the front seal is pretty easy to replace, if thats where your oil is coming from.
What is the procedure to replace the front crank shaft seal? Is it something best left to a mechanic? Or can I do the job?
Thanks,

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts