Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm swaping my old sr20de for a sr20de from japan is there anything diffrent between the two. like hp or does it bolt right in

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm paying 725.00 plus shipping if you want I will give the phone number of the guy who imports them but I have to get it from my friend first all the engines are suppose to be low miles 50k and under something about the laws in japan I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
does that include an ECU, cos chances are as that engine is design for japan use, it will be slightly different. Other may know a bit more on this matter, but if all else fails, JWT ECU should do the trick, besides, thats upgradable in future anyway, so it could be a plus.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
G20HOUSTON said:
I'm paying 725.00 plus shipping if you want I will give the phone number of the guy who imports them but I have to get it from my friend first all the engines are suppose to be low miles 50k and under something about the laws in japan I'm not sure.

Damn, thats kinda steep. I think you should look around a lil' more or ask others in your area for help. I can get JDM SR20 for $600 canadian and even cheaper if I asked for a discount

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Since you're putting a high-port engine it into a '93, there should be relatively little different. They use the same plumbing, with similar sensors and such. My biggest concern would be the emissions sytems like the EGR and whatnot. You can probably get away with even dropping in the JDM engine and JDM ECU to get the car running. Once it rolls, ship the US ECU to JWT for reprogramming and get a nice upgrade there, too. :)

Unless you specifically got a high-compression JDM engine, there will be virtually no real performance difference. It's a pretty common misconception that all JDM engines have higher compression (and thus more horsepower), but that's simply not the case. Assuming you got the engine from some place like Soko or K. Watanabe (that pretty much deal in low-mileage engines), you should have a bit of a pep increase, but that's just from the age of your JDM engine vs. the age of your original engine. The butt dyno isn't exactly a finely-tuned device. :)

Oh, and watch out for those coolant sensors; I think the one in the JDM engine may be different from the one that your gauge cluster is expecting to read. Should be a very inexpensive part at your local parts store.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
Damn, thats kinda steep.
It sounds like he's getting it from a good importer. Does your $600 engine come with a mileage gaurantee, a startup gaurantee, and a warranty? For $750 (US), I bet that I can get all of the above. Granted, the startup gaurantee and the warranty only apply when an ASE-certified mechanic installs the engine, but it's still nice to have around.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
If you are doing a highport to highport why not just swap intake manifolds if you want the egr system? You dont need to swap ecu's or have them reprogrammed for the Jdm, Im almost positive. Never heard of anyone doing that before

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Since you're putting a high-port engine it into a '93, there should be relatively little different. They use the same plumbing, with similar sensors and such. My biggest concern would be the emissions sytems like the EGR and whatnot. You can probably get away with even dropping in the JDM engine and JDM ECU to get the car running. Once it rolls, ship the US ECU to JWT for reprogramming and get a nice upgrade there, too. :)
You will have to swap intake manifolds. Houston has implimented NOX testing now and not having an EGR will cause you to fail. I have to figure it out for my DET.

No need to reprogram the ECU. The stock US program will be just fine with any NA JDM engine.

CowboyDren said:
Unless you specifically got a high-compression JDM engine, there will be virtually no real performance difference. It's a pretty common misconception that all JDM engines have higher compression (and thus more horsepower), but that's simply not the case.
Only the Primera engines are 10:1 CR. They are the ones with the tubular exhaust manifold (looks like an ugly header). But it's true, not all JDM engines are 10:1. If it comes with a cast iron exhaust manifold, it's 9.5:1 like the UDM engine.

CowboyDren said:
Oh, and watch out for those coolant sensors; I think the one in the JDM engine may be different from the one that your gauge cluster is expecting to read. Should be a very inexpensive part at your local parts store.
Yep. There are two coolant sensors. One has a red plastic connector, and that one sends a signal to the ECU. It's OK. The other has a single spade connector and that must be swapped out. The signal is different from that of the USM sender. I will lead to erroneous temp readings (look like it's overheating).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
If you are doing a highport to highport why not just swap intake manifolds if you want the egr system?
There you go! Canned solution. :) Odds are good that the fuel rail will be bent on delivery, anyway, since the pullers seem to think that's a good point to attach a hook to an engine to move it around. :crosseyed

Geo said:
No need to reprogram the ECU. The stock US program will be just fine with any NA JDM engine.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there was a "need," just that it's fun. :D

Only the Primera engines are 10:1 CR. They are the ones with the tubular exhaust manifold (looks like an ugly header) ... If it comes with a cast iron exhaust manifold, it's 9.5:1 like the UDM engine.
Hmm. Good stuff to know. :) There seems to be a lot of confusion on the SR20DE Forum on how to discern a low-comp from a high-comp. If it's as simple as the exhaust manifold, I'm suprised more people don't know. Then again, there are still a lot of people that don't know that there is a difference. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

thanks everyone I already have a JWT ecu. does anyone have the price of the sensor that I will need also the few places that I found a sr20 engine around houston they were either the same price or higher and no warranty on startup or miles.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You should be able to take the sensor (you only need to change one) off of the old engine, but I think it's only a few dollars. There are two temp sensors, the ECU reads one, and it's the same for both engines. The other one feeds the gauge cluster, and it's different.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts