Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I´d like to share my experiences with concerning my E85-Project.
First i need to tell, that the i am actually testing with is just an Almera ´96 with the 1.4litre engine (GA14DE) with 87 BHP.
Thats why i dont blow the SR20 engine in the beginning, so the crappy one needs to do the job...will not bother me if that will blew up :)

First starting with a mixture of E45 i am going now with e70...and it changed though.
With e45 there were no differences noticeable between normal gasoline and the alcohol, maybe a slight lag when hitting the throttle.
Now with e70 the staring procedure is more difficult (takes longer to fire the engine up after standing the whole night)...and the acceleration decreased, means from about 800-2000rpm its like the e-brake is still pulled, after 2000rpm it accelerates normal, and after about 4500rpm its also like pulling the e-brake...
The funny thing is, when the engine is totally warmed up, after about 20km, the symptomes arent that hard any more, and it accelerates better, without any lag...

So, my questions are: Does anybody also made some ethanol experiences with his Nissan?
Could it be, that my lambda -(sonde) is broke or is just too slow to do the right work? Any solutions for that, maybe an aftermarket part ...maybe adjustable?

Feel free to post your opinion about that, thanks :)

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
I honestly don't have any experience with ethanol...but good luck...sounds like an interesting project.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
A lot of places in the US use an E10 blend as their standard gasoline. The universal opinion is that it reduces mileage compared to normal gasoline. Ethanol is just a bunch of hype IMO.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Yes BUT it does have a much higher octane...good for racing =)

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Yes BUT it does have a much higher octane...good for racing =)
It's 100-octane, but the motor and ECU have to be optimized for it, and in an E70 blend, it's only going to be about 96 by US ratings. At E10, it's like 89.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
I thought that ethanol is highly corrosive and if the fuel lines aren't designed for it, it will corrode through the lines over time (and eat through the engine?).
You're Right!!! You need special fuel lines, fuel filter, and a couple other pieces to make your car really compatible with E85

thefultonhow said:
It's 100-octane, but the motor and ECU have to be optimized for it, and in an E70 blend, it's only going to be about 96 by US ratings. At E10, it's like 89.
Yeah, its between 100-105. All the newer cars that are flexfuel capable have ECU's designed to take advantage of the higher octane.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Yeah, its between 100-105. All the newer cars that are flexfuel capable have ECU's designed to take advantage of the higher octane.
Unfortunately, they still get sucky mileage. :(

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Yes BUT it does have a much higher octane...good for racing
If I was racing I would buy race gas or E whatever. So sell the dam ethanol at the track and keep it out of our regular gas stations.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
2,438 Posts
:-

http://aardvarkforums.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1960

I'm still holding out for the First Law of Thermodynamics to be disproven too!!! :geezer:
actualy me and my bro are going to re-do the engine to run on hydrogen and oxygen. so we aren't even gonna touch the scam products, we are making our own electrolyzer. we're not expecting a huge amount of power from the new fuel but at least it would be an alternative to gasoline to drive around.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
actualy me and my bro are going to re-do the engine to run on hydrogen and oxygen. so we aren't even gonna touch the scam products, we are making our own electrolyzer. we're not expecting a huge amount of power from the new fuel but at least it would be an alternative to gasoline to drive around.
Where are you going to be generating the hydrogen (BTW, why carry around oxygen if there's a ton in the air)? And which fuel cell and electric motors are you planning on installing? :baffled:

2,438 Posts
Where are you going to be generating the hydrogen (BTW, why carry around oxygen if there's a ton in the air)? And which fuel cell and electric motors are you planning on installing? :baffled:
we arent even touching fuel cells. also there isn't enough oxygen in the air for the correct ratio. basicaly we're taking a standard I4 engine and converting the sensors, fuel map, and injectors to use h2 and o2.

we also are building the device to do electrolysis.

i've already done extensive research into converting h20 into h2 and o2

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
we also are building the device to do electrolysis.
Where will it be located? BTW, there is plenty of oxygen in the air -- otherwise normal motors wouldn't work either. As for the rest of your project, good luck, I guess? I'm pretty sure there's a reason nobody has been successful in doing this...

2,438 Posts
Where will it be located? BTW, there is plenty of oxygen in the air -- otherwise normal motors wouldn't work either. As for the rest of your project, good luck, I guess? I'm pretty sure there's a reason nobody has been successful in doing this...
someone has already done this,

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Subaru guys have been running ethanol for years, do some poking around on the subie forums and there's plenty of info. The rumors that the alcohol will corrode the fuel lines are false. You don't need anything more than an ecu tune to make E85 work. Nearly all of the fuel sold in the US today is 10% ethanol; if it were unsafe to use, I'd be fixing a whole lot of fuel system problems at work.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Subaru guys have been running ethanol for years, do some poking around on the subie forums and there's plenty of info. The rumors that the alcohol will corrode the fuel lines are false. You don't need anything more than an ecu tune to make E85 work. Nearly all of the fuel sold in the US today is 10% ethanol; if it were unsafe to use, I'd be fixing a whole lot of fuel system problems at work.
Well you already said why it isn't a problem in cars right now. It's because its only 10% ethanol blend that it doesn't corrode fuel lines. When you start getting the E85 mixtures, the ratio is much higher and does corrode fuel lines.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Even though the E85 hybrids are tuned electronically for using the higher octane when present, they can't compensate for physical restrictions.

More energy can be gotten out of a single gallon of gasoline than a single gallon of ethanol; however, this also causes gasoline to be more volatile than ethanol. Because ethanol is less volatile than gasoline, it's possible to use higher compression without risk of detonation. Also why ethanol is so good for racing fuel.

Theoretically speaking, higher compression can allow for the same air/fuel ratio to generate more power or the same power with few rotations. Less rotations means you aren't needing to suck in air/fuel as frequently, thusly saving gas.

Basically, if you had two cars with identical motors, gasoline is going to perform better regardless. E85 hybrids are designed to run on 87 octane gasoline the same as allowing them to run on 113 octane? e85. If the you had the same engine, one with higher compression designed specifically for the e85 and not the 87 octane, you'd probably see similar mileage between e85 and gasoline in the two separate cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts