Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Got a '99 SR20DE blacktop, FWD.

I noticed that the distributor is at the end of its adjustment at just 15 degrees of advance, and I know that the car has had an exhaust cam replaced in the past, so I'm betting that it was installed one tooth too far rotated.

Can someone walk me through what I need to do to rotate the exhaust cam sprocket by one tooth?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cam issues are no fun. After screwing around with SR's for longer than I want to say, this is what I recommend to make sure everything is right.

1.Reference the OEM service manual for timing chain install

2. Use a wood dowel down cylinder (with depth markings) to determine if you are at TDC between the engine and what the Crank pulley says. If you have more than 100k on the main pulley, or you don't know the mileage, replace it with OEM because the rubber in the two piece design will breakdown from use and the TDC mark with get off a few degrees.

3. Order the Mazworx SR20 Cam Timing Tool for 15 bucks, its a great tool to have for setting the cam duration right on OEM spec.

4. Go to Jimwolftechnology.com and look up the tech support section. They have a few procedures with pictures on how to install/re-install camshafts. In the image make note of the number of links between the cam shaft pins and match it; along with the colored links on the timing chain if yours has them.

5. Buy / Borrow Nissan Datascan and a cable. The timing controls in this software are the absolute best for setting timing save only a real Consult. If your TB shows closed at Idle, just set it hold timing at 15 degrees and you can watch the magic with your timing gun, because it won't jump around. Just rotate the distributor to what you want, i.e. 15,16, or 17 deg as it reads on the crank pulley.

6. Do any idle air volume learning stuff, probably a good time to change plugs if you were way off, and enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts