Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, I have looked all over this forum and at sr20.net and i cant find a definate answer. Please someone, in one easy answer, what is the stock diameter of the exhaust from the cat to the muffler? Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
2.25 mandrel bent. It's hard to improve on the stock exhaust *at least performance-wise*. Unless you're getting a turbo or something, you don't absolutely NEED a larger exhuast.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The stock piping on the G20 is already 2.25" and mandrel bent!!!
Really. I am supprised. Can someone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
no way... stock is not that big, nor is it mandrel bent. I'm gonna redo all my gaskets shortly (big leaks at the moment) and i can measure then.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I got that info off a site...damn I still can't remember which one, but I remember seeing it somewhere. Well if you can measure it for us Justin, it'd be great. *still searching for that site*

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Okay, I was on se-r.net and they talk about the OE mufflers and cat, but I think this is on duh, an SE-R, but this isn't the article I had read way back when. I'm still searching for it.... dammit.....

The OE muffler is of excellent design, of course it produces back pressure to reduce noise, but only above where non cammed SR20DEs poop out, or after 6500rpm. With or without a cat the stock muffler is producing results close to the turbo muffler, but MUCH quieter. The OE muffler seems to start increasing back pressure at about 5500 rpm on up. Nissan did their homework in designing that muffler, the back pressure buildup corresponds very nicely with the stock engine performance characteristics. A stock SR20DE starts to choke after 6500rpm, the OE muffler ramps up 1 or 2 psi till about 6500rpm where it sharply increases to its maximum.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Its much smaller than 2.25". I upgraded mine to 2.25. Stock might be something around the 1"7/8th range

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It is absolutely not mandrel bent.

The SE-R exhaust is 1 7/8" for sure and I'm 98% certain the G20 is as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So if I want to get a catback custom made exhaust system, what size of piping should I get? 2.0' or 2.25"? And should I take the cat out as well? I know the stock cat won't do any harm on performance on our cars but I just want to take it out to make things simpler underneath the car. And I just got my smog done.

I have a 91 G20 M/T with Stillen intake and Stillen 4-2-1 header. But I am not done with the mod. yet. I am going to get underdrive pulley, ECU, and cam as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Geo said:
It is absolutely not mandrel bent.

The SE-R exhaust is 1 7/8" for sure and I'm 98% certain the G20 is as well.
OK OK OK, yessir, King George!!! *cowers in corner in fear*
:paranoid:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
nelam said:
So if I want to get a catback custom made exhaust system, what size of piping should I get? 2.0' or 2.25"? And should I take the cat out as well? I know the stock cat won't do any harm on performance on our cars but I just want to take it out to make things simpler underneath the car. And I just got my smog done.

I have a 91 G20 M/T with Stillen intake and Stillen 4-2-1 header. But I am not done with the mod. yet. I am going to get underdrive pulley, ECU, and cam as well.

Thanks
I'd suggest trying to find someone to make a 2 1/4" mandrel bent exhaust. Keep your stock cat in there, unless it's clogged, then get an aftermarket (maybe a catco) replacement. It's not worth removing, all you'll gain is pollutants out your tailpipe. I think this has already been talked about on the forum too, if you're looking for more info try a search as i think it's been talked about a couple times before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts