Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyway i can silence my exhaust? i have a DTM muffler an it's too loud. The guy at Meineke told me i already have a stock resonator on there an there's not much that i can do. Is this true? Does anyone know anything that'll make my exhaust quieter?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Replace the DTM with a longer can.

If you only had it welded on to your factory piping, then it would be your DTM muffler that caused the increase in sound. You should still have the factory resonator in there.

If you had the cat-back piping replaced at the same time then have a 18" or longer glasspack welded in after the cat.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
NismoPC said:
Replace the DTM with a longer can.

If you only had it welded on to your factory piping, then it would be your DTM muffler that caused the increase in sound. You should still have the factory resonator in there.

If you had the cat-back piping replaced at the same time then have a 18" or longer glasspack welded in after the cat.

Remove your resonator and replace with a glasspack.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i ended up going back to stock. I actually think that it runs a little smoother now. It seems to feel a little better shifting. I dunno tho, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
spita07 said:
Well i ended up going back to stock. I actually think that it runs a little smoother now. It seems to feel a little better shifting. I dunno tho, that's just my opinion.

SE-R.net says that the OE G20 muffler is pretty hard to improve upon. I'll be putting on a variable capacity muffler from a 2001 G in a couple months just to see if it'll improve performance. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts

SE-R.net says that the OE G20 muffler is pretty hard to improve upon. I'll be putting on a variable capacity muffler from a 2001 G in a couple months just to see if it'll improve performance. ;)
yeah i've heard that the exhaust isn't where the restriction is at, but rather it's at the header, so replacing the header will tend to free up more hp.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

I guess it doesn't LOOK too fierce. Maybe that's why they change it. I'm glad Nissan didn't do the Honda thing, depending on the aftermarket to compensate for their cheapness. If you're gonna do something right, have it done right the first time....
:rambo:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

I'll be putting on a variable capacity muffler from a 2001 G in a couple months just to see if it'll improve performance. ;)
I don't think that's a great idea. Removing the VC muffler on an SE-R (open b-pipe) is worth about 3hp across the board. Keep us posted, though, by all means! :)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
CowboyDren said:

I don't think that's a great idea. Removing the VC muffler on an SE-R (open b-pipe) is worth about 3hp across the board. Keep us posted, though, by all means! :)
Well, it's just an experiment that I wanted to try out. And 3hp across the board is still 3hp. :) I got the muffler used for about $55. If it doesn't work, I'll just trash it and get a Remus. I'm also going to put on HS headers, the '91-'93 intake cam, and UR pulleys all at once, so it may be at least a couple of months. Or maybe longer. Some dumb-a$$ broke into my car over the weekend. They used a little nail/screw to pop out the small back window that doesn't go down. Man, I had some CD's(one of them autographed by jazz keyboardist Bob James), a disposable camera, and other stuff and all the retard(s) took was a bottle of Eddie Bauer cologne(which only had less than 1-2 oz. in it) :-\ Oh, they took my back window too, which I can probably get at the junkyard. Oh well, thank goodness that the car was still there. Hopefully, they'll end up on world's stoopdest criminalz. :)
I'll let you all know how things turn out!=)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think you misunderstand what I said; the VC muffler is a 3hp drain across the board. An SE-R with no muffler at all rolls 3hp higher than an SE-R with the VC muffler, which leads me to believe that it's not a very good internal design. It only took me about six months to break my muffler, btw; it doesn't pop like it used to, and it's a lot louder than it was when I got the car, too. I'm just sayin'.. :)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
CowboyDren said:
I think you misunderstand what I said; the VC muffler is a 3hp drain across the board. An SE-R with no muffler at all rolls 3hp higher than an SE-R with the VC muffler, which leads me to believe that it's not a very good internal design. It only took me about six months to break my muffler, btw; it doesn't pop like it used to, and it's a lot louder than it was when I got the car, too. I'm just sayin'.. :)
:surprised Ohhh, I C (said the blind man to the deaf mute). :p No problem, I still give it a try and see what happens.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts