Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting a sound as of late, bit of a fart can noise. There aren't any holes as far as I can tell. Sound only happens when I'm accelerating, but lets up once I let off the gas.

I'm thinking something is loose?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been getting a sound as of late, bit of a fart can noise. There aren't any holes as far as I can tell. Sound only happens when I'm accelerating, but lets up once I let off the gas.

I'm thinking something is loose?
Does it start around 4k? Or also at low rpm?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's more pronounced at the higher RPMs, but you can hear it right when I tap the accelerator.

·
Registered
193 Posts
check your egr tube. Does it make the noise in park revvvving it. If it does then check around while reving it up to try and atleast the closet possible location.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I get a ticking/ clattering sound coming from what spunds like the upper engine space from 2K to 3.25K rpm ONLY when ACCELERATING IN GEAR. In neutral and at idle there is NO clattering, only when the engine is under load (in gear and accelerating). I have the understanding that if it were a bad hydraulic lifter, I would hear that noise both when accelerating IN gear as well as in neutral and when idling. Is this a correct assumption?
The noise increases frequency with the rise in rpms and is no longer audible past 3.25 - 3.4K.
Any suggestions as to what this clattering/ ticking might be?
I recently replaced timing chain, timing chain tensioner, timing chain guides, ROCKER ARMS, LIFTERS, and cams (OEM). I also drained and refilled the manual transmission oil with GL-4 gear oil. I did not change or adjust the valve shims or rocker guides when replacing the rocker arms. The hydraulic lifters were taken from a year 2000 engine. I cleaned then out and bled the air from them before installing them. I did let the engine sit for a couple of days before returning to finish the installation of the cams and valve cover.

As a side note, I noticed I do have a leak in the EGR port on the underside of the upper intake.
have a hole in it. The innermost end of the plug appears "eroded", not smooth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts