Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was going into get my exhaust on and the manager said if I get this on it will ruin my car. He said the ECU will get "confused", as he put it, and it will not run faster. I replied and said can't you just reset the ECU and it will adjust to no back pressure and more exhaust flow. He said that is not possible.

- Is this guy right?

- And is no back-pressure good for performance?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If he is not willing to install it for you, go elsewhere. He has no idea what he is talking about nor will he ever if that was his explanation to you. He must be living in the big block world still!

I was told the same thing over 6 years ago when I had a '91 NX2000 and asked the shop to put on a 2" mid-pipe to match up to my 2" Borla rear. He said the same thing. They did it any ways because the customer is always right. Should have seen the looks on their faces when I turned it on and floored it a few times. Priceless.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I explain to my mom that getting the exhaust would not mess up any of the electronics?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Most moms would believe that there are no wires that run through your exhaust. Have her look if she doesn't believe you.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
well...

I have heard of some exhaust systems actually making the car run worse than stock.. they may sound louder but actually perform worse... I've even seen it for myself at the dealer!

In my opinion, I think if you go with one of the proven systems like Greddy, you have no issues to worry about but some of those $10 mufflers I'd stay clear away from myself!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well..

Well, I finally convinced her and dropped it off... it will be done tomorrow!!!!

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
go buy the guy who said this a gatorade or snapple so he can be quiet that should keep him busy for a sec or two..
:pirate:

·
Registered
411 Posts
well i dont no. i put a magnaflow muffler on my car and now i think my car is actually slower then before w/ the stock muffler. unfortunetly i dont have times to prove anything so it could just be me, but i doubt it. another thing, for a while i ran the car w/ no muffler and it felt faster then w/ a muffler. i dont see how this would be true thought since my packpressure would drop alot. i did get some great gas millage though. and the best part was, it sounded like i was doin 100 when in reality i was just letten off the clutch.

N

·
0 Posts
the best exhaust is no exhaust
back pressure is a bad thing period

so it should run better with no muffler

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm SO GLAD I GOT THE EXHAUST ON! OMG! I love it to death.. it's loud, deep, and I peeled in 2nd which I wasn't able to do before I got it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
InfinitiLvr said:
I'm SO GLAD I GOT THE EXHAUST ON! OMG! I love it to death.. it's loud, deep, and I peeled in 2nd which I wasn't able to do before I got it.

Really? I get wheel spin in second and my car's stock. My timing is advanced to 19 degrees, but that's it. Yes, I'm going straight, yes the pavement's dry, yes my tires are properly inflated, and no I'm not popping the clutch just to say that I get wheel spin in second. I guess my G is a little on the heavy side. :-\

·
Registered
411 Posts
nismoanticipating said:
the best exhaust is no exhaust
back pressure is a bad thing period

so it should run better with no muffler
i would have to disagree w/ this. simpley b/c one of my exhaust set ups was having no cat, no resonator, and no muffler. so all i had was a manafold and a flex pipe. when i floored my car, nothen happened except large amounts of noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts