Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what if i run a 2.25' pipe from my cat and then get a regular muffler like say one for a V8 and put it all together this would be better than stock right ?? would it be better than bolting on a after market muffler ?? how would it sound ?? deep ???

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
what if i run a 2.25' pipe from my cat and then get a regular muffler like say one for a V8 and put it all together this would be better than stock right ?? would it be better than bolting on a after market muffler ?? how would it sound ?? deep ???
I'm not 100% sure but I think that the G20 already has a 2.25 pipe stock going in and out of the cat. Putting a V8 muffler on it would end up being a loss instead of gain in hp. The idea is to maintain a constant velocity from the exhaust valves to the muffler tip. The much bigger muffler would probably cause the exhaust gases to slowdown resulting in some backpressure. As far as the G20 exhaust system is concerned, its pretty hard to improve upon it. For a deep sound, I'd recommend getting the Remus muffler, which you can find at www.infinitipartsusa.com .
It's the best muffler you can get for the P10 G20. ;)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
There really is not such a thing as a V8 muffler. Unless you are referring to buying a stock Mustang or Camaro OEM muffler. WHY?What you want is probably a free-flow muffler. A straight through design like a Magnaflow, Borla, DynoMax, etc.

If you weld one of the above type mufflers to your stock piping, you will get a more aggressive sound, but not much in gains of HP. And you won't lose any HP by doing it either. It will just get throatier in sound.

The G20 stock exhaust is quite good for ordinary bolt ons and N/A engines. Not necessary to replace unless it is rusting away or you want a throaty sound.

Search the forum and I bet you'll find some discussion on this topic. Hmm? Search the forum. What's that? :confused:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
what if i run a 2.25' pipe from my cat and then get a regular muffler like say one for a V8 and put it all together this would be better than stock right ?? would it be better than bolting on a after market muffler ??

No and no.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So you're saying our stock exhaust is just as good as any aftermarkte exhuast system? *keep in mind I don't want a big farting sound coming out of the back of my car, and I like my car to be "quiet," heh, at least relatively*

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Pretty much. =) Are there "better" mufflers or exhaust systems out there. Sure there are. It just that most of them cost an arm and a leg and may only free up a few ponies. So it's really not worth the trouble to try and improve your exhaust system. In fact, the thing that needs to go are the headers. Keep everything else stock, put on the Hotshot Headers and those alone should give your car a different feel.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts