Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
Just wanted to know what kind of wax/scratch removers you have used and found to work the best. My car has alot of small surface scratches, mostly done by different crap falling from the trees around my driveway throughout the years. Is that GS-27 crap any good? You know, the stuff on that [email protected] tv commercial :p? Also, what do you all like to use for the tires/wheels? I use mostly Eagle One products for those...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The GS-27 scratch remover is the biggest crap I have ever used. It does not work, all it does is change fill the scratch with some white crap and does not make it go away!

·
Registered
179 Posts
BUMP old thread so i dont have to start a new one :naughty:

There is alot of scratches all over the car ranging from light scratches to some pretty deep scratches that show alittle metal.

is there anything that could help take some of the light scratches out ?

i will try some touch-up paint on the deep ones and maybe wet sand it after then hit em with wax.

anybody have good solutions? or products that works or experience stories?

EDIT: some of the medium scratches have wax build up in the scratches. any way to fix those? maybe try to clear em out with a tooth pick?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've had varying levels of success with many purported "scratch removers". I've tried most of the usual suspects from auto parts stores without much success on the "medium" type scratches.

For very light stuff - like spider webs and the like - I've had good results from the multi-step Meguiar's products (cleaner/polish/wax) although it still doesn't do what a mechanical buffer can do. I'm just too scared to take the buffer approach because I've never done it, and it requires a level of skill that I don't want to find out I don't posses.

Not sure about getting the wax build up out of a scratch - I've never seen anything quite like that. Seems like even the best waxes out there for longevity usually can't survive past a few months in typical conditions. Seems like a few washes and that'd be gone...but I don't know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
EDIT for poster above, it was a bad discription i guess. The scratches seemed alittle white so i was guessing it was wax build up. the cleaner worked pretty good on the little stuff. Im going to pick up some touch up paint though for the really deep scratches that go down to metal because its showing surface rust on the edges of the doors, better ugly than rust :lick:

went through all the stuff i have in my garage and found some meguire's 3 step system but only bottle 1 and 2.

the step one bottle worked really well on the light scratches.
you cant see them unless u look at it at a very low angle. even then you can only see them slightly. if you look straight at it you cannot see them at all. it seems to just smoothen the scratched surface out so that the scratch doesnt catch any light to reflect to make the scratch obvious.

I havent tried the second step bottle yet but it seems like it would do a great job.

step three of the series is just a wax

on medium scratches that go to pigment of the paint it doesnt do much as i expected but it does make them thinner if you know what i mean. Maybe i didnt try hard enough, it does seems to help alot and my fingers are red so i quit for today. :cheeky:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've also had good luck with Meguire's scratch removers. For heavier jobs the three heavy/medium/light polishes they make work well with a drill fitted with a spongy head. If you're careful. Start with the light grit and go up. Then back down. Don't work in the sun or with the metal hot. I've also noticed that in the middle and can look pretty scary with the scratch remover - I had it stick to some touch up paint I had put on (carefully) - and it basically pull off a thin film of it when I rubbed it off. but I had these little spots of Meguire's frozen to paint repair. I used a very clean towel and rubbed like heck. They came off after about an hour. You can't tell here the were. Or weirdly enough where the touch up was. Not that I'm recommending it with touch up paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts