Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my Quebec inspection, and expected to pass with flying colours.

Nope.

They are saying:

1. brakes unevenly L -> R
2. parking brake not strong enough and uneven L -> R
3. 3 ball joints have "too much play"
4. crack in steering column

WTF? This has to be repaired within 48 hours. What am I looking at cost-wise for these repairs? I could just stab someone in the eyes with a screwdriver I'm so pissed off. :(

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note: I have been driving the car for a week, and there is no weird noise or ball joint play that can be felt while driving. The parking brake can hold the car on a 45deg hill with the tranny in neutral. The brakes, yes....the front rotors should be changed as they are slightly warped, THAT I was prepared for.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
damn that sucks...laws are like that??!?! I thought California had it bad...

sorry...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah man...I've never seen this shit in my life before today...my car was on dyno-machine-style rollers and they had an electronically controlled brake test with little bar graphs and shit...I was LIVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
i wouldn't be too worried about 1 + 2. 3 + 4 could be a bigger problem.

48 hours???? are they serious? even if you could get that parts that fast, who is to say that you can get the work done that fast? thats ridiculous

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tealturboser said:
crack in steering column, wtf how'd they see that? they took off the plastic shroud or something?
the brakes might be causing the other problems...

They were giving me the bad news in French, I may have misunderstood the steering part. They definitely said "steering" and "column" but there could have been some other words thrown in to indicate that it was "near" or "attached to" the column. I was already seeing red and hearing pounding in my ears by this point, so it's quite possible that I misundersood...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

Turns out there are NO ball joints or tierods worn out...I had a mechanic check it and he said there is ZERO play in them...and that the guy who did the inspection is a fucking asshole. He is apparently notorious for failing even BRAND NEW cars.

Anyway, rear brakes were FINISHED, so replaced those for $200, and will be re-inspected tomorrow SOMEWHERE ELSE.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way:

It is now my life's mission to get that fucker's inspection license revoked and make sure he is on unemployment insurance before 2008.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man, I think you're blowing this out of proportion. He failed your car. You fixed it, and passed the test elsewhere. Report him to the canadian equivalent of the BBB and be done with it. Vendettas aren't worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mirx999 said:
Man, I think you're blowing this out of proportion. He failed your car. You fixed it, and passed the test elsewhere. Report him to the canadian equivalent of the BBB and be done with it. Vendettas aren't worth the time and effort.
but...but... :(

Yeah you're right...I was just really mad. If he was picky, that would be one thing, but this guy INVENTED stuff wrong with the car and it just made me go mental. Anyway, I'll do the civilized thing and just report them.

FYI, car has not passed YET elsewhere, but hopefully will today. *fingers crossed*

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
good luck with the testing brotha. that really sucks. Id report him to some kind of whatever tehyre caled hahah

·
Registered
592 Posts
I believe the first mechanic who gave you the inspection wants to pull a fast one on you. How to you say "sucker" in French?

There are crooks like this in the states as well because mechanics do not make money giving car inspections. So in order to make up for the time spent inspecting your car, they make up bogus problems.

I was a sucker once but never again!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Changed rear rotors and pads. $200.
Went to inspection at another place.
Car passed.

Went to register car.
Did not know they base sales tax on value, not price paid.
Paid $1000 in tax, on top of the $510 I paid when I picked it up.

Got the plate 290 TAX

Saw complaint phone number for inspection garages.
Saved in cell phone, calling now. :D

·
Registered
20,919 Posts
They base sale tax here on a computer generated car value also, but I filled out a form and sent it to the department of revenue that stated the price I paid, why I got it so cheap, and got the tax reduced to the number that made sence.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
trbobrk said:
They base sale tax here on a computer generated car value also, but I filled out a form and sent it to the department of revenue that stated the price I paid, why I got it so cheap, and got the tax reduced to the number that made sence.
Yeah the chick said I could bring it in, get it inspected (just HEARING that word again after the day I had gave me hives) and prove that it's a piece ofshit and has problem A, B, C and D and that's why I paid $_ _ _ _ . _ _ . I was like....NO. Just rape my ass please with your taxes. No more...no more inspections.

·
Registered
329 Posts
all QC inspections are anal like that. I got my car plated in QC as well. The first inspection, the mechanic found 12 problems. One of them was that there was a bit of oil in the engine bay from doing an oil change, one of my marker lights was out, and there was a bit of rust on the side of the body. It's complete bullshit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That sucks man, all they do here in AZ is connect the car to a computer to check for major codes and gas cap pressure test, then pay a % of the car's value for registration, which for me last year for 1 year was only like $68.. Its time to move :p.. And get that guy outta the inspection point!

·
Registered
430 Posts
haha my car dont even have to do emissions checks its too old. i had to do it once but the bitch that did the roller test bottomed it and i had to put a new oil pan on. i was bithcing and punching the walls i was so pissed. so i made them pay for the tow and the new pan. so i knwo where your coming from.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts