Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...i failed emmissions a few months back, and i brought it to a liscensed emmissions shop to get it diagnosed, and he told me that the egr valve and egr tube were good, valve commanded open and opened, and the tube was clean. he then said that the egr ports? were clogged with carbon and may need to be cleaned? (i think the ports are on the throttle body, or intake manifold not sure) So i started searching the forums for solutions and theres so many things that could be wrong with it. also the idle is rough and stumbly, and when the engine is cold-ish and i start it up and throw it right into gear, it stalls. this usually happens in reverse. i dont want to just start replacing parts and wasting money if i dont know what the problem really is...i guess i'll start by going to autozone for a code test...
any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
thanks in advance

kevin

·
Registered
162 Posts
it would help if you told us what the emissions readout said - hydrocarbons, N02 etc etc...

·
Registered
656 Posts
brammes said:
also the idle is rough and stumbly, and when the engine is cold-ish and i start it up and throw it right into gear, it stalls. this usually happens in reverse.
That sounds exactly like a crappy air regulator valve (ARV). Your's is doing the same thing mine does - only worse. Check out Carlos SR thread in the sponsors section on "How to do a full tune up".

Sponsorship - worth its weight in gold. =)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
here's a quick how to clean that stuff.
Cleaning EGRI had a HIgh NO reading due to dirty EGR, I went ahead and clean throttle body, AIV valve, pretty much everything also replaced O2 sensor and knock sensor....

·
Registered
392 Posts
it is like everyone has experienced that....well at least i did

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jsmith said:
it would help if you told us what the emissions readout said - hydrocarbons, N02 etc etc...
Sorry. the NOX failed...not by much really here in mass (least i dont think)

·
Registered
462 Posts
if Nox is high and HC is low means you are running a little lean. Make a little rich and that lowers Nox but increases the HC a little. (this depends on how much room you got to play around with HC, if it is boarder line forget it, but if it is 10 and max is 100 then this would work)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HC grams per mile
reading: 1.05
limit: 1.20

CO grams per mile
reading: 006.10
limit: 020.00

NOx grams per mile
reading: 3.16
limit: 2.50

Massachusetts emmissions testing

·
Registered
462 Posts
you are too close to HC limit so dont mess around with making it go rich. Check for any engine codes even if the engine light is not on.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so i replaced the ECT sensor and followed the thread to resetting the ECU, and the idle seemed a lot better, but the idle was also a bit lower than usual. is this common?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts